Pleats – to press or not to press

I am working on this dress in a brown, floral print, lightweight wool. It’s going to have three-quarter, instead of short, sleeves, but I’m having trouble deciding whether or not to press the pleats all the way, or leave them loose. I don’t generally go for fully pressed pleats, but it might be good to do something a bit different than usual. What do you all think? Press or not?

Thanks for your help!

-Evie

• Meet the Author • Evie

I'm a spanish teaching, classic movie loving, fabric hoarding, yarn coveting, chicken keeping bibliophile, and mother to a beautiful, wild little boy, with too many projects and nowhere near enough time to finish them all. Sewing and knitting are what help keep me sane.

• I LOVE the pleats! I say leave them… Great fabric by the way and love the dress!

• I love the pleats, too! The pattern has a very crisp, tailored look to it, and the fabric you chose is perfect. Well done!

• I love the look of pleats. But 1) you will have to chemically set them in if you intend them to hold up the pleat lines through washing 2) even chemically set, you will have to do some ironing to maintain them.

• That is a good point. I hadn’t thought about having to chemically set them.

• it’s not a hard process, just takes a bit of time.

• I think they look lovely the way they are.

• I think they look really good! If you cannot decide you can always wear them like that until they wash out and then decide.
    Love the fabric too! What a great autumn dress!

• Thank you all for the input! I think I’m going to leave them be. The way they are now is actually without pressing. The fabric hangs nicely as is, and so I think I will just not worry about pressing them in. It’s wonderful fabric to work with. I lucked into it from a friend’s mother’s stash. It’s 100% wool, and was priced at $40/yd in 1994. She got it 60% off. She left little tags on most of the fabric in her stash so I know where most of it came from which is really cool!

• Oh wow, I love this dress and especially adore the fabric! It’s gorgeous :-)

• That dress turned out AH-mazing!

I think if the pleats are just hanging like that, they look pretty great. I’m not sure the extra work is worth it. Great fabric, and totally season appropriate!

« LAST POST