Pleats – to press or not to press

by Evie on November 8, 2012 · 10 comments

in 1960s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

I am working on this dress in a brown, floral print, lightweight wool. It’s going to have three-quarter, instead of short, sleeves, but I’m having trouble deciding whether or not to press the pleats all the way, or leave them loose. I don’t generally go for fully pressed pleats, but it might be good to do something a bit different than usual. What do you all think? Press or not?

Thanks for your help!

-Evie

Evie's posts / Evie's website

Laurie November 8, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I LOVE the pleats! I say leave them… Great fabric by the way and love the dress!

Anne November 8, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I love the pleats, too! The pattern has a very crisp, tailored look to it, and the fabric you chose is perfect. Well done!

Laura D November 8, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I love the look of pleats. But 1) you will have to chemically set them in if you intend them to hold up the pleat lines through washing 2) even chemically set, you will have to do some ironing to maintain them.

Evie November 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm

That is a good point. I hadn’t thought about having to chemically set them.

Laura D November 8, 2012 at 7:36 pm

it’s not a hard process, just takes a bit of time.

Kate November 8, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I think they look lovely the way they are.

EmSewCrazy November 8, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I think they look really good! If you cannot decide you can always wear them like that until they wash out and then decide.
Love the fabric too! What a great autumn dress!

Evie November 8, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Thank you all for the input! I think I’m going to leave them be. The way they are now is actually without pressing. The fabric hangs nicely as is, and so I think I will just not worry about pressing them in. It’s wonderful fabric to work with. I lucked into it from a friend’s mother’s stash. It’s 100% wool, and was priced at $40/yd in 1994. She got it 60% off. She left little tags on most of the fabric in her stash so I know where most of it came from which is really cool!

Natalie (@fashionatalie) November 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Oh wow, I love this dress and especially adore the fabric! It’s gorgeous :-)

Housewife Betty November 11, 2012 at 10:35 am

That dress turned out AH-mazing!

I think if the pleats are just hanging like that, they look pretty great. I’m not sure the extra work is worth it. Great fabric, and totally season appropriate!