Emerald Green Dress

This is my first post here. I visit often in search of inspiraton – and now hopefully I can inspire. An emerald green duchess satin dress made using the Retro Butterick 5813 pattern – a pattern originally printed in 1956. The dress isn’t that difficult to sew – I would say that an advanced beginner could do it. The dress is supposed to be fully lined, but I skipped that part (which of course makes it even easier to sew). Unfortunately I don’t have any pics showing the back of the dress. but the shoulder darts and back inserts make the dress look just as wonderful from that angle.

• Meet the Author • groovymama

• looks great,reminds me I need one and I love the color!

• Thank you very much. I’m also completely in love with this color.

• Looks fantastic. Any comments or tips about the pattern? Does the back look as good at the front?

• Thanks, Cat. I’ve updated the post now :-)

• It looks perfect on you. Love the colour and fit.

• This dress came out beautifully! Shiny fabric can be a nightmare to work with, but you did it perfectly! What a wonderful dress!!

• Yes, shiny fabric can be a pain in the …. – but this is some rather heavy fabric and very easy to work with! And thanks for your kind words :-)

• Congrats on moving your blog :) it looks good!

I love the dress… really pretty. You made it? Very impressive. I used to make dresses what seemed like a long time ago, in a different life, lol, but I guess it was only, like, 5 years. Haha. Now I just collect (and soon to sell!) vintage ones.

I love the green color you picked. It’s actually very flattering, though, I’m not quite sure I could pull it off myself. Anyway, this is my first visit here and it was really nice finding your blog. I hope you’re doing well, and that you enjoyed your weekend.

xox, amber

• Thank you for your sweet comment, Amber. I also have quite a few vintage dresses myself.

• Great job! Love the color and the fit. Welcome to the community!

• Adore this dress, great example of a wiggle dress in shiny fabric that is so flattering, nice work. And I’m a redhead, so you had me at ‘emerald green’!

• Thanks – ElevatorGirl. And I agree with you – emerald green is absolutely one of the best colors for redheads.

• I just bought this pattern earlier today. Have had it on my list for weeks- and here it is! All made up in it’s glory! Love the color. You look great in it! Nicely done! :)

• Thank you Laurie. Can’t wait to see your version :-)

• This dress looks amazing. What a perfect color choice, it looks so good on you! Love it!

• Aw – that’s sweet of you, Becca. Thanks :-)

• It looks great! This pattern is actually my next sewing project. (I’m making the full skirt version out of black 100% wool gabardine)

I’m thrilled to see the pattern in pictures! It’s very flattering! I love it in emerald green!