Inspired by a wiggle dress i saw online for $150, I decided to make one.
It cost me $33.64 for fabric & everything else was in the stash.
I trawled through my patterns to find one that wouldn’t require too many changes.
I turned up this great Simplicity 3397 in a size 14.
I knew there would have to be some tweaking for my petite stature, but I decided to wing it once I had measured all the pieces. I hate making toiles unless absolutely necessary.
I raced into Spotlight and found some lovely black & white sateen with a little stretch and set about cutting.
It was probably a 3 day dress all up.
I had to shorten the bodice and skirt, take an inch out under the arm from the side seam, a couple in the raglan and then I reshaped the sleeve to a more flattering cap.
I’ve been working on a lot of Alex Perry dresses recently & have noticed all his skirts have fusible interfacing, so they maintain a great shape, so i decided to try it out with some great stretch fusible samples I got in a big stash purchase a few months back.
I really went all out in finishing this outfit, which I tend to neglect, so the bodice and sleeves were also interfaced & lined in light cotton and I bound the waist seam & hem with bias tape. The belt is a crepe one I already had, but I plan to make a red one as an alternate.
Going against the retro tradition, I added an exposed metal open ended zip. They were featured in almost every race wear outfit I altered this season, so I gave it a go & didn’t mind the result.
All up I’m pretty pleased and wore it to Sydney Dance Company performance tonight.
That’s me in the Arts Centre Foyer.