vintage dress date?

by Dellis

in Dresses,Vintage Sewing

vintage dress

vintage dress

On a recent trip to Raleigh, North Carolina I visited Shabby Lane Antiques, and spent hours investigating (and purchasing!) items from buttons, to pins & bangles, to my first vintage dress.  Wonderful experience — couldn’t believe down South prices — can’t wait to get back!

Here’s my question:  What era do y’all (Southern for “you all”) think the dress is from?  1980s?

Style is slightly A-line, buttons down the front, is belted under the bust (belt was missing; chiffon substituted), has inseam pockets, and is ankle length.  Dress has a 4” hand-sewn hem; lining has 3.5” hand-sewn hem; dress is definitely RTW due to seam finishings, label, etc.

vintage dress label

vintage dress label

Many thanks in advance!

Details on me blog!

D’ellis is a lover of Art Nouveau, 1930s style, dark chocolate, books by D.E. Stevenson, rayon fabric, Commissario Montalbano, patterns, & fabrics in fall colours who has finally started her own sewing blog!

Dellis's posts / Dellis's website

Jayne September 9, 2012 at 12:15 am

I’ve seen a couple of items on Ebay, Etsy & at a Vintage fair by this label. I’ve seen items from mid1930′s & the most recent I’ve seen were 60′s outfits. It seems Neiman Marcus stocked it.
Current listings styled by Dorian
I have a very similar pattern from the 60′s, so I think early 60′s rather than 80′s.

Dellis September 9, 2012 at 9:18 am

Dear Jayne, can’t say how much I appreciate your references! I’d done some searching several months ago, but didn’t come up with anything close to your yummy finds. Thank you!

Laura D September 9, 2012 at 1:08 am

Considering the style and length, I’d say 70s. I don’t know anything about the label, but the style is very reminiscent of 70s era patterns.

Dellis September 9, 2012 at 9:21 am

Thank you so much for commenting, Laura D! Can sometimes guess the decade for styles, but this had me flummoxed.

Stephanie September 9, 2012 at 6:53 am

Did it have a washing instructions tab? If it did, it’s 60s or later. That’s usually where I start in dating a piece. Of course, they can be cut out or other wise lost. Also, if it has a size listed, the more it lines up with modern sizes, the newer it is. (i.e. if you are a modern 6 and the dress is a 14 and fits you, it’s old. If it’s a 6 or 8 and fits you, it’s much newer.)

Dellis September 9, 2012 at 9:26 am

Dear Stephanie, there’s not another label anywhere on the garment… just turned it inside out looking! No size, no washing instructions, but it washes nicely.

Thinking about fabric content, lining is probably 100% cotton, but there are tiny fabric pills in a few places, which makes me think maybe the blue sheer is an early cotton poly. Didn’t they sometimes pill?

Dellis September 10, 2012 at 10:13 am

Had another thought after that extended examination: Maybe this was a bridesmaid dress that later got shortened for less formal wear & more frequent… just a thought. Thanks for your comment, Stephanie!

Jessamyn September 10, 2012 at 7:27 am

I would agree that it looks early to mid-’70s. The flounced shawl collar combined with a button-front long skirt both speak to that era. There was a definite ’30s revival in the ’70s, but as with all revivals they combined the elements in a different way than the originals.

It was often rather difficult in that era to find fabrics that DIDN’T have polyester in them, so yeah, you’re probably right about the content!

Dellis September 10, 2012 at 10:08 am

Very interesting, Jessamyn – thank you so much for your comments! Lived through the 70s but really don’t remember them – too much life going on at the time. Am intrigued that 70s reused a lot of 30s styles, as that’s my most favorite era!

Jessamyn September 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Thought you might find these 1930s-influenced 1970s pattern of interest:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/98185683 (referencing very late ’30s, when yokes and puff sleeves came in)

curlsnskirls September 10, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Thank you, Jessamyn, for such a bonus – I really appreciate this!
Was just at the library yesterday looking at 1930s things, and saw they had a lot of 1970s books. Will have to pick them up, and compare!