Simplicity 7032 progress.

by Sam @ Buckingham Road on September 11, 2012 · 6 comments

in 1960s,Jackets,Vintage Sewing

I first decided to make this pattern in February 2011, can you believe that?! A year and a half ago? Talk about procrastination! The good news is that I am cruising along now and am getting close to finishing it.

I want to share with you some photos of where I am currently up to. Please be kind, this is the first jacket I have ever made. I know some of the seams are a bit dodgy, and the scallops are not perfect. But I am learning quite a lot from making this two piece suit, so for that I am grateful. I think a pink two-piece suit is a necessity for any vintage wardrobe.   :-)

Here are some photos of where I am up to with the jacket…

~ The back of the jacket has not yet been pressed ~

~ The Liberty Betsy fabric I intend to line the jacket with ~

~ Elbow dart ~

The skirt has been cut out and is ready to be sewn up. I am going to make it with an invisible zip because I like the look of these even though the pattern asks for a side zip.

So, my question to you all is what is your preferred garment underlining method? I would love to get some tips/recommendations before I decide on how to underline the jacket and skirt. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

I blog at Buckingham Road.

Sam xox

Sam @ Buckingham Road's posts / Sam @ Buckingham Road's website

A.J.A. September 11, 2012 at 10:31 am

It’s a cute jacket! To help the scallops out a little you might need to do a little more clipping at the seam. It’s scary, but you really need to clip right up to the seam line to get rid of puckers. Also, I have made a template with cardboard for pressing the scallops, which helps a lot. You can use the pattern to shape it, just remember to take off the seam allowance. I look forward to seeing the finished suit!

Amanda September 11, 2012 at 10:44 am

What a beautiful pattern! It’s a such a pity thaty they call it sewing a jacket… it should really be called pressing a jacket, because you are going to spend much more time pressing then sewing. Part of the reason is that the steam reshapes the fabric into your body shape. This is a very nice jacket. It could be a wonderful jacket with a careful pressing.

After the pressing you are ready to move on to lining. That Liberty print is gorgeous, but if it isn’t slick (and I suspect it’s a cotton, so it’s not), it’s not a good choice for a lining fabric. You want your lining to be slick, so the garment you wear under the jacket doesn’t get hung up on it.

You’re off to a great start…good luck!

sewinghappyplace September 11, 2012 at 11:54 am

The jacket style and fabric are really lovely and you are doing a great job. I agree with the previous to posters. There is nothing dodgy here that a good and careful pressing won’t fix. I highly recommend pressing as you sew. There are spots you won’t be able to access as easily later and it makes seams lay flatter for matching spot on.

I can’t wait to see more progress. Thank you for sharing.

Amanda September 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm

The pics are a bit smaller than I remember, but you can see the difference a proper pressing makes. Even the mostly beautifully sewn garment will look “Becky Home-Ec-y” if you fail to press each seam (including darts!) as you go.

Becky Culbertson September 17, 2012 at 11:07 am

I first heard this term, Becky Home Ec-y, on an episode of Project Runway. I just laughed, because my name is Becky, and I majored in Home Ec in college. Home sewn garments, which I am sure you know, can be lovely and have a professional appearance. Don’t worry: I do not take offense ;-)

Becky Culbertson September 17, 2012 at 11:11 am

Press as you go. Every single seam. It may seem like a hassle, but it will make the absolute difference between seams that are “dodgy” and beautiful crisp ones.
Also you asked about underlining. Underlining is different than lining, so I’m not sure which you mean. Underlining does not show but provides structure inside the garment. It get sewn as one with the fashion fabric, so it is too late to underline this garment. However, if you meant lining, then you probably would prefer to use something that is slick. If you plan to wear this alone, always buttoned, without a blouse, shell, etc., underneath, Jackie O. style, then the slipperiness is not a big deal, and a soft cotton would feel nice. Hope this helps!