After sewing Butterick 4790 a few times, I was really wanting a circle skirt that wasn’t attached to a dress. I’m trying to give myself some separates this time in my sewing, and create some eye-catching yet still versatile pieces to mix and match. I also love red, and polka dots.
A week ago I wash all of my cotton fabrics, measured them, refolded them, and labeled them so I can see what I have at a glance. I hadn’t realized how much of this fabric I actually had until then, and I saw it would be perfect for my next project.
I used just the overskirt piece from the B4790 pattern, and cut my skirt. I made it about 3″ or 4″ shorter than the pattern calls for, and made the waist opening a bit bigger to allow it to sit a little lower- more towards my hips then at my natural waist. I then cut a strip of the same fabric that was about 6 inches longer then around my waist where I wanted it to sit, cut matching interfacing, and made the waistband. There was a lot of picking out stitches, tweaking, and testing before I got everything just right, but I am absolutely thrilled with how this turned out. I kind of want to wear it every day now!
You can see more photos (including the button tab detail at the waistband) on my blog. Just click here!