≡ Menu

50s inspired outfit

Yes! I finally finished something! My last finished project was over 3 months ago!

I made circle skirt using a cute printed cotton with a Delft Blue design. The fabric was in my stash for over 3 years. I bought it quit impulsively and didn’t now what to do with it.

But when I was unpacking some of my moving boxes I came across it again and I suddenly knew what to do with it.

This drawing of a vintage sewing pattern envelope inspired me. I pinned it  a while ago at Pinterest. I haven’t thought about using a plaid fabric for a circle skirt before. I really like it!

My Delft Blue fabric could be used in the same way!

There are many different ways to draft a full cirlce skirt. I think it’s one of the most easiest skirts to draft. This time I used the instructions in one of my vintage sewing books.

Because I didn’t have enough fabric I made my skirt a bit shorter then the traditonal ones from the 50s. When sewing the skirt I get the idea of combining it with a 50s inspired blouse.

I used this picture from my Lutterloh 1954 pattern book to draft the pattern. I made piping to accentuate the yoke.

1                                                    2                                                       3

When I finish a sewing project, I put it on a dressform and show it to my boyfriend R. Most of the times he likes it, but this time he didnt. I thought it would be fun to mix diffrent kind of printed fabric with each other, but R. didn’t like it at all.

I started feeling abit unsure and decided to make pictures of the two combined but also making other combinations.

What do you think, is this too much?

Which combo do you like the best?

I’m still doubting…

About the author: http://anthea-retrovintage.blogspot.com/ I love sewing and knitting, using vintage patterns, drafting my own vintage inspired patterns or using modern patterns.

{ 18 comments… add one }
  • Lady A September 24, 2012, 5:49 am

I like the black and white one, number 3. to make it a bit sexier make the skirt higher in the waist and shave it in around your body, making it more a pencil skirt.
    I am sure no man would say that is not sexy ;).
    But this is my opinion 😀
    Love the shirt, great pattern and I like the detail with the buttons. Its little things like that, that make shirts.

• Anthea September 24, 2012, 6:06 am

Yes, you’re right! I was thinking the same about the waist of the skirt, tried to hide it a little, but failed ;). The black skirt isn’t made by me, just bought in a store years ago. But definitely making a high waisted pencil skirt soon!

• Nathalie September 24, 2012, 10:33 am

Love that skirt!!

#2 seems very ‘on trend’ at the moment (but maybe that’s just over here in the UK). I actually like all the combinations, so no help there I’m afraid!

• Anthea September 24, 2012, 12:37 pm

Thanks! Funny, didn’t know that it was on trend. I’m mixing prints all the time 🙂

• Lizzy September 24, 2012, 12:12 pm

Love that skirt pattern! I like yours too! all the outfits look really nice!

• Anthea September 24, 2012, 12:41 pm

Thanks 🙂 the pattern is based on the typical Dutch blue and white earthenware.

• Cecili September 24, 2012, 12:26 pm

Outfit n°2 is great! The blouse and skirt go very well together and each piece is adorable separately. As for what boyfriends find fashionable the mystery remains^^…

• Anthea September 24, 2012, 12:45 pm

Thank you! Most of the time I’m pretty sure about what I wear, but this time I really started doubting.

• Jennifer Nelson September 24, 2012, 9:13 pm

Such a cute pattern!! I love the fabric you used. So pretty!

• Viola September 24, 2012, 10:26 pm

I love what you made! White and blue are very on-trend right now.
    I would say I like combos 1 & 3 the best. Your original outfit is a different look/style but still very cute!

• ooobop! September 25, 2012, 1:42 am

I agree with Viola. All lovely makes though. And always take the BF’s comments with a pinch of salt!! 😉

• Deb September 25, 2012, 3:30 pm

I love the #3, then #1, and #2. The black piping on the blouse really adds to it.

• Anthea September 25, 2012, 11:26 pm

Thank you all so much for your comments!

• lunefantasy September 26, 2012, 2:35 am

all are interesting and cute, but I prefer n°1

• EmSewCrazy September 26, 2012, 9:23 am

While all are super lovely I think one and three are the most expected combinations. I love that blue fabric! Just beautiful.

• trish September 26, 2012, 9:05 pm

I like #2 for when you’re feeling a bit zany/playful; 1 and 3 are sweet as well–I would like combo #1 more if it weren’t a turtleneck, I think. Super cute skirt and top though! Really nice job.

• Liz September 26, 2012, 11:22 pm

I like outfit #3. #1 is nice too but I think it would look better with a v-neck or scoop neck top. I think the high neck looks a little unbalanced with the skirt. In saying that, I like all the individual pieces 🙂

• jenables October 4, 2012, 4:03 am

Ahhh! Jennifer Nelson!! Name twins!