I’m a long-time lurker on this site and I never thought I’d be a contributor! I’ve been trying to improve my sewing skills for the last year or so and I finally have something that I’m ready to share. I made a fifties-inspired version of Simplicity 2444, which I’m sure you’ve all seen five trillion times since it seems to be a very popular pattern. I used a very cheap synthetic with a textured surface something like seersucker, which makes it feel very summery. Unfortunately, I didn’t realise just how synthetic this fabric was until I tried to press the bust darts and melted several large, plasticy holes in the bottom of the front bodice… woops. Since I didn’t have any more fabric, I shortened the bodice pieces, cutting away the melted areas, and inserted some vintage lace tape I bought from a jumble sale for an absolute steal. I haven’t backed the tape, and I haven’t decided if I will or not. The amount of skin shown through those tiny holes isn’t really an issue!
I raised the shoulder line and shortened the skirt pieces considerably to fit better on me, a short girl who likes her skirts even shorter.