1920s Inspired Jersey Dress

I’ve been debating whether to post this because this isn’t exactly retro, but it’s certainly retro inspired. I wanted to create a dress for the 1920s Jazz Lawn Party here in New York City. I certainly love the 1920s style, and I did a lot of research on costumes and ideas.

But with a smaller top/waist and larger hips, the popular drop waist was sure to look terrible on me. I still wanted to participate though, and I was simply going to cinch in the waist to make sure it looked great on me… but then I decided to go with a bright yellow fabric in jersey because it’s more comfortable and more versatile rather than something fancier. I fitted the top, put in a fitted waist band, and had a flared circle skirt.

What do you think? Does it at least count as retro-inspired? I drafted the top myself and copied the skirt from another dress.

Also, any tips on working with jersey? It was my first time, and the hem around the collar and shoulders roll. (If you look closely, you can sort of see it in the close-up pictures.)

Thank, guys! You can check out my full post here if you’re interested. Also, I have a giveaway going on here.

• Meet the Author • Kristin

• Very cute!! love the color!

• It is very cute! I love the design!
    The hems rolled because they are not deep enough. Put in an inch hem and see if that helps. Or use a double needle in your sewing machine to sew it down better. Make sure it is for jersey though.

• Ok, I just popped over and read your full blog post. You do need bigger hems on the sleeves. (and if you do tops, the bottom hem) For the neckline you could use a facing or cut binding (binding my favorite). I have the cutest top I made and all the hems rolled because I did a 1/4 in. instead of 3/4 to a full inch. :(
    Glad you finally got your machine to work and good luck sewing more with knits! They are so fun and forgiving!

• Em, thank you so much for the tips on not getting the fabric to roll! I’ll have to go back and look and see if I can mend this one or if I’ll have to suffer the rolled hems due to my inexperience with knits (which is probably the case). Regardless, now I know for next time. Thank you again!

• I looks great. You can tell its 20’s inspired.
    I’ve got the same fabric in a turquoise….its giving me a few ideas what to do with it.

• I absolutely love this dress! Not sure how the style would work on my, but I think I may have to give it a try. I’ve got a couple of yards of charcoal jersey sitting in my stash….

• your dress is a winner–really pretty and one of a kind

• The yellow color makes the dress! You look beautiful