≡ Menu

Vintage Singer 421G Sewing Machine

I had the good fortune of finding a really rare German Singer this weekend while I was out and about! Per the manual this machine is from 1961, and from Germany of course. It came in a neat-o Danish Modern sewing cabinet.

More details on my blog!

About the author: I started sewing in 2005 when my husband borrowed his mother’s sewing machine for me and told me that I could make corsets for myself (instead of paying $500 a pop for them.) It was the first thing I ever made. and the first thing I ever sold! The rest is history I’m a Fashion Designer/Antique Dealer just south of Atlanta!

{ 18 comments… add one }
  • Housewife Betty July 30, 2012, 1:30 pm

I absolutely love these old machines. I sew on a 1960’s Necchi Supernova, which weighs about 30 pounds. The seem to do a better job of sewing through heavy fabrics like canvas, denim, and leather, and they are simpler to operate. You’ll have to post your first project and give us an update on how it works!

• Eleanormeriwether July 30, 2012, 1:37 pm

I agree! The older machines are King. I have had around 200 vintages machines.

• Michelle Mishaan November 30, 2016, 6:00 pm

HI! I was wondering if I could get a copy of the manual? I would pay for it. I just bought the 421g on Ebay and it did not come with a manual, unfortunately and I am trying to locate one. I also heard that you could get this machine to do the chain stitch using some touch and sew pieces- have you ever tried that? Is it possible?

• MrsC July 30, 2012, 3:55 pm

Wow, it looks like a prop from Flash Gordon, so Moderne!!! 🙂

• luis August 8, 2012, 5:24 am

Dear Eleanor, I wrote you from Mallorca, Spain, I find your blog finding for this model of machine, my mum just have the same model , the Singer 421g, but she lost the plug and the pedal, I’ll triying to lookin for in the old shops here, but I need also the manual could you please sent by pdf, I really really thank you a lot ,
    thank for all and greetings from mallorca

Luis

• Peter December 18, 2012, 11:17 am

Hi I also zisklal strarte SINGER 421G for deceased sister, Zhan instructions, spools, needle and other things to do. Peter from Slovakia-Bratislava

• Alison January 28, 2013, 2:06 pm

Hi Eleanor
    I too have a singer 421g sewing machine but have lost the instruction manual. I would much appreciate it if you could email me a copy
    Regards Alison

• Sandrine February 27, 2013, 6:36 am

Hi Eleanor, I wrote from Nice in the south of France. A friend gave me her Singer 421G, she had lost the manuel and she don’t remember how to use it. She’s old now.
    Please, it would be so kind to send me the instruction manuel, otherwise I can’t use it like that.
    Best regards
    Sandrine from Nice

• Anonymous February 24, 2015, 10:17 am

The manuals are available on the internet

• Kristina November 3, 2013, 12:47 pm

Hi!!! I was soooo happy to find 421G!! but I don’t have any idea to use it!!! please, send me instructions, I will be so glad! I am from Latvia and this kind of sewing m . dont have!!!

• Dolly December 25, 2013, 6:14 pm

I was recently give a Singer 421 G – made in Germany. I cannot figure out
    how you rewind the bobbin. I cannot find anything on the top that twirls around, after you disengage the side wheel so that the needle does not go up and down. I have looked all over. Can you help me. Thanks , Dolly

• Dolly December 25, 2013, 6:15 pm
  • Bobbie April 7, 2014, 10:25 am

I was lucky to grab a421 singer from my mothers boyfriend. He was selling it at a yard sale and it didn’t sell. So i took it for a back up. But i don’t have a manual. Any chance you could send me one…

• Anonymous October 22, 2014, 7:14 pm

Hi Eleanor, I wrote from Niorwayi.my grandmother gave me Singer 421G, she had lost the manuel and she don’t remember how to use it.
    Please, it would be so kind to send me the instruction manuel, I can’t use it .Thank you very mutch.my email is: zarochka2001@mail.ru.

• Daisy July 10, 2015, 1:58 pm

I too have a Singer 421g. I found it on of all places Ebay. I love it! The original instruction manual was not included but the copy sent to me was just fine! I am still getting use to it. You never know where the G machines will turn up. I found my 401g in a museum sale. My husband found my 411g at a charity event to raise money for Hospice care, You can find the manuals on line and download them for free. I put my downloaded manuals in a binder and put each page in a plastic sheet protector..

• Andrey August 14, 2015, 12:52 pm

Приобрел 412G если у вас есть возможность прислать инструкцию буду очень благодарен

• Chris January 18, 2017, 4:33 pm

hi!
    is it possible to receive a copy of the Singer 421 G manual?
    Its very appreciated. Thanks for concerning!

Best regards from Germany!

• Myriam February 23, 2017, 8:26 am