Vintage Maternity Do-over

by technicolorcutie on July 4, 2012 · 6 comments

in 1950s

Hello We Sew Retro!

I recently mourned the loss of an amazing 50′s maternity top. Tragically I lost one of the fabric covered buttons and splashed hair tint (I am a hairdresser by trade) on it. No use crying over ruined vintage, right?! At least, that’s what I’ve been telling myself ;)

Myself wearing said vintage top

I decided to take apart the top, and remake it using current – vintage inspired fabric! I love the construction of the top, although I do wish I could have found that amazing chartreuse fabric again!

The 50′s shirt. LOVE that collar!

The Fabrics I chose

I carefully seam ripped the entire shirt and ironed out the pieces

Using the shirt as a pattern was so easy!

It took me longer to seam rip, than sew. But, here is the final product!

More about it on my blog – http://technicolorcutie.blogspot.com/

Thanks everyone!

Technicolor Cutie

technicolorcutie's posts / technicolorcutie's website

Ginny July 4, 2012 at 3:08 pm

It’s always such a shame when a favourite gets ruined. You picked lovely fabric for the re-make, so sweet. Are there some salvagable parts of the original left? You could make them into something for baby, maybe a quilt or cuddly toy that will last longer than a garment would (I still have things unfinished that mine grew out of before I could even make them!)

Jessamyn July 4, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Nice job on what could be a tricky collar, and I love your new fabric!

If you’re still mourning the chartreuse, how about this option?

Ange July 4, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Nice job, I have a couple of items that I’m wanting to take patterns from and keep alive :)

You’ve done such a nice job, and I think the fabric suits you, thanks for the inspiration.

pumpener July 5, 2012 at 3:40 am

In theory it s simple and then i think about unpicking my vintage clothes and how i would mess up it s longevity and proper finishing methods , but im now eager to give this a go for my modern high st stuff as the stitching is usually horrid anyway.

pumpener July 5, 2012 at 3:42 am

P.s I also think chartreuse is the shizzle

Tina July 5, 2012 at 7:03 am

I love chartreuse, too, but you have to be happy with your new creation! It is very complementary to your skin and hair color.