The Completed Fall Fancies Dress!

This post is all the behind-the-scenes details of my latest me-made project, which I recently featured in an outfit post ~ My Fall Fancies Dress.

I started this dress in February with an vintage Advance 9785 shirtwaist dress pattern I got off Etsy and some vintage thrifted cotton.  I think the Advance is late 1950s – early 1960s?  I’m not 100% sure, but I thought it was pretty anyway.

I had to tackle a few new skills with this pattern ~ doing to an FBA on a kimono sleeve bodice was just for starters.  The dart ended up looking funny, so I just moved it to where I thought it should go and thankfully it worked!

I also had to try my hand at my first on-the-bias project, as the bodice was bias cut, and to make the layout trickier, I had to pattern/stripe match as well!  This meant that it took me THREE hours just to cut out the bodice, and I wasted a fair amount of fabric which led me to the conclusion that, although pretty, bias cuts aren’t necessarily worth it.

Buttonholes and pleating were also two new skills to me ~ and I have to say I adore my Bernina 860!  It’s five step buttonhole program is the easiest, simplest way to do buttonholes and once I practised a few I just breezed through the three buttonholes on the dress’s bodice.  I never thought I would say this, but ~ I love stitching buttonholes!

The pleats were relatively simple, and I am positively ecstatic with how they look!  I think that they suit my figure far better than gathers, so I know I will be trying these again.

Of course, although I like the original pattern, I still made an alteration and took out the buttons/facing strip down the front of the skirt.  I think my reasoning for that was that the bodice buttonholes were scary enough without having to do more!  Plus, I find button-down skirts annoying.  They tend to pop open a lot on me for some reason.

I had trouble with the collar/neck facing and end up tacking and sewing that down in about a hundred different ways/places, as well as the collar being a pain to put on.  I had to re-apply it and rip it out at least three times, but even though the inside is a little messy, you can’t tell from the outside, which is good. I guess these things just take practise.

All these new challenges meant I did a lot of stop/start sewing; sometimes leaving the dress for weeks until I could summon up the courage and the time to pick it up again.

However, the thing that I am most proud of with this project is how perfectly my seams match!  The centre back seam and the shoulder seams are spot on and I love how the front facing has that lovely ‘bridge’ between the two front chevron-stripes.  Pattern matching is fiddley and time-consuming, but oh, so satisfying when it comes out right!

~ Project Details ~

Year:  Late 1950s – early 1960s
Pattern:  Advance 9785
Fabric:  About 6 yards/5.5 metres of thrifted cotton doona cover {$9.00} ~ this is one fabric eating pattern!
Notions:  Three buttons {$3.00}
Time to complete: I have no idea…
Make/Wear again? Definitely wear again!!  I am really happy with how it came out: I love the fit, the style and the fabric. However, I am not so sure that I’ll make the pattern up again.  I’m thinking that once was enough.  Although, I do love the skirt, so it does seem likely that I might use that part of the pattern again.
Total Cost:  $25.00 including the pattern

xox,

bonita

P.S. ~  For more posts, outfits, tutorials and more, please visit my blog Depict This!  I hope to see you there soon!!  ^ω ^


				

• Meet the Author • bonita


I am an Artist, Photographer, Writer, Equestrian, Stay-at-Home-Housewife & Mother of One; so as you can see I have a lot of interests and happily describe myself as a multipassionate. I love the vintage style from the 1800s to the 1950s and aim to incorporate the beauty of simpler times into my life as much as possible ~ you can follow my foray into the past on my blog, or visit my website to see some of my work. ♥ xox, bonita


Love what you've seen so far? Subscribe by email to receive all the week's posts delivered to your inbox in one big glorious email every Friday.

Inbox overflowing? Follow us on Bloglovin instead!

Find the WeSewRetro crew chatting on Facebook and sharing pretties on Pinterest.

8 comments… add one

  • How darling! Way to go on the pattern matching. I too love pleats and they are super easy to swap in for a gathered skirt.

    Reply
  • OOhh I love this! What a neat fabric and an excellent job matching the stripes!! You look great!

    Reply
  • I like this alot! Wanna make me one :P!

    Reply
  • Oh… my… this is beautiful! the pattern of the fabric has been used so beautifully!

    i wish I could say I love sewing buttonholes… I’d almost prefer to do them by hand than on a machine!!!

    Reply
  • This is divine and you’ve done such an incredible job matching up your seams and generally matching up your fabric pattern…I’m in awe and I can’t wait to pop on over to your blog and discover more ;o)

    Reply
  • You did such a beautiful job on this – congratulations! Really admire your sticking to it and learning all the skills for this project. Your mention of pleats is a good reminder for me to include those instead of gathers. Wear your wonderful creation with great happiness!

    Reply
  • The pattern matching was definitely worth it – especially with such a pretty fabric. The wreaths of flowers up the front are really lovely.

    Reply
  • Wow gorgeous lining up of fabric there and the pleats look so perfect, you should be very proud of it!

    Reply

Don’t Be Shy » Leave a Comment!