Saint Ouen (Paris) flea market

by Lholy-chan on July 27, 2012 · 10 comments

in 1800s,1940s,1950s,1970s,Dresses

Hello WeSewRetro!

It’s been a very long time since I last posted here. Some of you might remember Jen’s post about her trip to Paris and London in June, and how she would be happy to meet some fellow vintage lovers there. Several people here said she should go to the Saint Ouen flea market while in Paris. Since I’m not very far from Paris and never went to the flea market, I contacted her and suggested we went together. We met on June 30 and had a really lovely day! It was a real pleasure to meet her, and I have to admit I fell in love with the flea market. All those tiny shops, small alleys, looking through piles of old stuff in search of something special. It felt a little like a treasure hunt in a special universe where time didn’t flow at the same pace. ^^ So first I have to thank Jen for writing her post here, and then those people who talked about the flea market. I’ll definitely go back, even though I’m sure it won’t be as fun if I go alone.

Now I’ll stop rambling on about my life. I’m actually writing on WeSewRetro because I thought you might enjoy seeing some pictures from the flea market and maybe reading the reports I wrote about it on my own blog. Here are some of my favourite pictures of the day:

There was a small wedding dresses exhibition in one of the markets. I think it’s still going on, even though the dresses might be different because they’re selling them, so they’re changing when a buyer takes a dress home.

For more pictures of the day and a detailed report on the different parts of the market we saw, please go there. The wedding gowns exhibition has it own post, you can find it here. I’ll also have a post about my findings in the coming days. And all pictures are available in bigger size on my Flickr.

I hope this is not off-topic and that you’ll enjoy those pictures as I much as I enjoyed the day!

~Lholy-chan~

Lholy-chan's posts / Lholy-chan's website

jax black July 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Thankyou so much for sharing :)

Katherine July 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I think it’s immensely cool that your outing was a result of this site :D I’ve put it on my list of places to visit when I get a chance to go back to Europe.

Lauren July 27, 2012 at 8:02 pm

AH! I got to go to one of the shops pictured when I was in Paris. I’m dying to go back. Your images are lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Jayne July 28, 2012 at 7:45 am

Oh good, it looks like you found all of my favorite stalls. I have visit them every few years when I go to Paris.
I bought something at each of them last June to use for my December wedding. There is also another one outside where I got some gorgeous vintage beads, sequins & trim.
Looks like you had a ball – I never thought to take photos, in Australia I have been told off for photographing outfits at an Antique Market & I’ve been too scared ever since.

Lizzy July 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm

OOOOhhhh!! beautiful! I really would like to go there! and right now I’ll go to your blog to read more about the pictures

Katrina - Edelweiss Patterns July 29, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Oh my goodness! This is simply astonishing!

Of particular interest are all the 1890s and early 1900s dresses on dressforms.

Amazing!

Housewife Betty July 30, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Wow! Yet another reason to go to Paris. I can’t imagine the goodies lurking in those shops!

Ohhh Lulu July 31, 2012 at 6:21 am

Oh my gosh… I think this might be my idea of heaven!

Dellis July 31, 2012 at 4:27 pm

These are all so lovely I had to backtrack and read the other things referred to in your post. I also wish we could wear beautiful things more often! Thank you for being so thorough, and for sharing with us.

Lady A August 4, 2012 at 1:01 am

Awesome images, I love Paris and I miss Europe. You are making me a little bit homesick, but thank you so much for sharing these beautiful pictures. :)