Marilyn-inspired cherry dress

This dress isn’t made from a vintage pattern or vintage fabric, but it is very much inspired by two vintage dresses which I thought might interest some of you.  The two dresses were both worn by Marilyn Monroe and are just gorgeous!

A cherry print one from The Misfits….

…and a tight, halter neck dress from Niagara.

My dress is a sort of mish-mash of the two, but I think the cherry print fabric and the classic halter neck pattern (V8727) really add to the vintage look of it.

It was a joy to sew! I lined the entire dress with white silk cotton and other than a few adjustments to fit (mainly around the bust and hips), it came together pretty easily.  Can you tell I love it?!  Now we just need the rain in the UK to stop so I can actually wear it!

More photos and construction details can be found on my blog Handmade Jane. x

• Meet the Author • Handmade Jane

I've been sewing for two years and am now at the stage where I make most of my own clothes. I love vintage style, vintage fabric and, most importantly, vintage sewing patterns! I'm influenced by most styles from the late 1930's to the early 1960's but if I had to choose the decade that most captures my imagination, it would have to be the 1940's. Looking forward to sharing more of my finished garments with you. x

• Very cute! It looks like it fits perfectly! You can send some of that rain to the midwestern US (specifically St. Louis, Missouri, please). We haven’t had a good rainfall in over 3 weeks, and it’s been over 100 degrees for the past 8 days.

• That’s so funny, somebody just commented on my blog from Nashville, asking the exact same thing! I would if I could! Thanks for your kind comment. x

• It looks so cute. I love your dress.

• A.dor.able. I love it! I have a serious fixation on cherry prints and I usually can’t bring myself to cut into my fabrics… I just pull them out to admire, and then replace them, carefully folded, back in the closet. :-) But seeing your dress, I am inspired to go ahead and turn one into something I can actually use!

• Aw thank you – I know what you mean about cherry prints, they’re almost too perfect to cut into aren’t they?! x

• Darling dress and I adore that bag.

• WOW! just perfect

• Gorgeous!
    I’ve been looking all morning among my own patterns to find the exact same modell!

• You look fantastic in this dress. It is nice to see a dress fit properly.

• You look amazing!! Is the dress for somewhere special…maybe Twinwood?
    I just posted on another site about our terrible British weather…if only we
    could go halves with the States, we would all be happy :)…heres to a great weekend whatever the weather.:)

• Thanks so much. No it’s not for anything special, I just wanted to sew something summery in spite of the rain! x

• That dress looks fabulous – I hope you get to wear it soon. The weather has been so depressing and I am itching to wear some of my summers clothes!!!

• So perfect. This is one of my dream dresses to make for myself too! Great job!

• Thank you so much for all your generous comments, it really means a lot to me. x

« LAST POST