I didn’t sew this but…

My mother did when she was 18 years old!

I got a call from my Grandmother in England a few weeks ago, telling me she’d found this outfit (it’s actually two pieces, a vest jacket thing and a high waisted skirt), which evidently belonged to my mother when she was younger. It had virtually never been worn and she asked me what my waist size was. To our delight it was exactly the same as my mother’s was then! She asked me if I wanted it, and naturally I said yes! I only had her vague description of it and had no idea what I was getting. And this is what showed up in the mail:

When I showed these pictures to my mother, she immediately identified it as an outfit she had made when she was 18 years old. It’s beautifully made and a nearly perfect fit.

So perhaps it’s not retro sewing – but it’s legit 1970′s vintage sewing done by the very woman who taught me to sew :-) How cool is that?

• Meet the Author • juliam

• Awesome!

• Fabulous – how lovely that you can wear it.

• Isn’t it funny how things that fitted your parents at your age then fit you?
    I have used some of the patterns my mum used to make stuff when she was my age…they all *fit* and those that don’t involved me doing almost exactly the same alterations.

• I’ve got a ‘smart dress’ of my grandmother’s – not sure what date, but it’s a size 14 so predates the Great Resizing – which fits perfectly. I’ve no idea what era it is as it’s a very restrained style, not obviously fashionable in any period: long sleeves, long slightly flared skirt, plain bodice slightly gathered into simple waist. I’m guessing 1970s being retro 1940s.

Sadly it snagged on the hedge while blowing on the line so now has a small darn in the front of the bodice…

• That is SO cool! I wish I had some true vintage pieces homesewn by female relatives. My grandmother taught high school English in the early 1950s and made all her work clothes. I wish some of them had survived!

• How cool is that!?!?

• So fun! Love the personal history of this dress and that you can wear it!

• I think I recognise the pattern as one I thrifted!It also consisted of a jacket and pants(flared of course)

• I would love to know which pattern if you happen to know it!

• Love it! I had a one piece dress just like that for my honeymoon in 1973 : ) That fabric is gorgeous.