Finally something for me ;-)

by beckyc4u on July 8, 2012 · 8 comments

in 1950s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

Finally a dress for me ;-)

I have been sewing practically all my life. I learned sitting across from my mother at her treadle sewing machine for hours on end. Today I spend most of my sewing time making costumes for our high school drama productions, which can be anything from historical to fanciful. Last summer I made five dresses for bridesmaids, each different vintage patterns, and decided I needed to do some sewing for myself. On a personal note, I am married with three grown sons, and two grandchildren with another on the way. My life is centered around these people I love, and I am truly blessed.

beckyc4u's posts / beckyc4u's website

Dawn July 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Love the floral!

Becky Culbertson July 13, 2012 at 11:43 am

I was looking for a white with big red polka dots for the contrast, but was happy when I found this floral.

Punkmik July 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm

is this the butterick walkaway dress? I love it! v cute!

Becky Culbertson July 13, 2012 at 11:41 am

Thanks! Glad you like it! It is Butterick 4790.

Anonymous July 9, 2012 at 10:03 am

The color combination is so pretty and you look pretty in it too.

Becky Culbertson July 13, 2012 at 11:42 am

Thanks so much!

Becky Culbertson July 13, 2012 at 11:49 am

I may know my around a sewing machine, but a computer – not so much. I did add text to my post but it somehow didn’t appear???
Anyway, this is Butterick 4790, with a couple variations. The overskirt goes straight down the front, but doesn’t look like that on the pattern cover illustration. I angled the front edges slightly so that I would get a peek of the underskirt.
I also cut the shoulders narrower, and then even added a couple tucks to bring them in more. With my – let’s say curvy – figure, I didn’t need more width added up top.
Another change I made was to make fabric loops for the buttons in the front. It calls for snaps, and then just sewing the buttons on the front. I wasn’t sure snaps would hold securely enough for me. The only thing about this decision is that in matching the center front, the loops go over a bit, placing the buttons slightly off center. I still haven’t decided if I should change this or not. Opinions?

Thank you all for your sweet comments!

stacysewsandschools July 13, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Oh!! I love it!! I have that pattern in my stash! I hope mine turns out as well as yours did! :)