Ditto! Butterick 5605

I too just finished the repro Butterick Pattern 5605. I love it! It’s so amizingly comfortable too! I did end up changing around a few things too. I moved the back pleats to the front and made them box pleats and two knife pleats (more on that debacle on my blog). Then I pieced the neck ties like apron ties (they look crooked in the pics but I swear they are even. Maybe I have a tall shoulder?). I cut the front on the fold, why not? I hate a front seam. And finally cut 6″ off the hem.

Those gussets worked my last nerve. I can’t ever seem to pivot and get it to work perfectly every time. They did turn out stellar in the end though. The fabric is from an estate sale and I think I paid less than a dollar for it. I had it in a big bag of fabric I got for $10. I love the neckline too, it’s just the right shape and size. My only gripe is the modern sizing. I cut an 8 on top and a 12 at the waist. When I make it again I’ll cut a 10 because even though they give a small ease at the waist I still think they were off. I would also shave some of the roundness off the bust contour. It’s still a little boobalicious for me and I’m wearing a Wonder Bra. Sigh….. I would also add a waist stay, the lining may be making it sag a bit. The belt is vintage and off an estate sale dress.

I’ll even be brave and show the inside of the dress.

• Meet the Author • Always Alice

I'm a self taught seamstress with only a couple of years under my belt. I love to sew from 1940s and 1950s patterns and try to work a little vintage into my modern life. Each garment helps me get closer to creating and designing well constructed and original garments.

• Super cute!!!

• I love the versatility of this pattern. I too made this dress TWICE already and I got two totally different looks. This is one here: http://kittenscloset55.blogspot.com/2012/06/red-winter-dress.html

• I saw your version when I google imaged the pattern! I love the sleeves! I wasn’t sure how it would look in thin cotton like I did but maybe i could try a bottom weight stretch like yours. I think that this is one of those patterns that once you master the gusset it is a really easy and quick sew. I’m determined to find a easier lining solution so it’s faster though. Sewing 8 collective gusset pivots got old pretty quick.

• I found this pattern ran really large. I agree with the out of control lining!

• I agree. I went down a size in the bust and I should have cut probably 2 down in the waist. I could take 2 inches out of the waist to have it really fitted. I wentby the ease they gave instrad of measuring for myself. Gets ,e every time. It works as it is but for a really tailored look I would deff take a bit more out of the waist.

• Sooo cute and lovely! What a nice job you did! I am really liking this pattern!

• So cute! And the fabric- I love it!

• I love your fabric! So perfect for summer.

• Lovely job! I love the back neckline, and the color is so pretty on you. : )

Happy sewing,

Katrina

• Aw I love it, especially the pretty fabric and yellow belt. The shape suits you perfectly, great job. x

• very chic dress

• so cute

• Thanks so much ladies! I have already worn it three times and it may take the place as a favorite away from my Advance shirtwaist dresses. It’s a bit of a fabric hog so I am thinking of using a different skirt next time.

• HA HA HA, serendipity! Love your version – it’s so sweet and ladylike. I posted some links to gusset help on my blog post on this dress. There was a video I found that was insanely helpful. I have to say, I just love seeing what two different people will come up with when we tackle the same pattern – proof we really are special and unique snowflakes.

• Me too! The gussets are such a pain in the butt. It’s like I know exactly what I want to do but the cotton is so light it kept getting one ripple on the turn. Then I’d have to take the stich out and be reminded of my misfortune with little holes. Luckily they rubbed right out. I found a pattern in my stashwithanother gusset and a slim skirt cut all as one so I’m going to try that too. I squished up all the skirt on the 5605 dress to mimick a slim skirt and it’s looks good!

• This looks fantastic! I am about to start drafting a kimono sleeve pattern, and I’m dreading the gussets. Yuck.

• Love it! This is actually the next pattern in my stack; I already have the fabric – just need the time! It’ great to see it made up. It looks great on you. Fabulous job!

• I love the dress!! The fabric is fabulous!! I have been eyeing that pattern for a while now. I think I need to go get it! ;)