Darts with Artist Tape

by rockabillykitten

in Vintage Sewing

I recently got a snippet (If you have not signed up for them, I suggest to do so :) )  from Colette about ways to improve your dart making skills. And I don’t know about you, but I always fuss over how my darts look! No matter what I do they aren’t perfect; chalk, pins, basting lines all did not result in a perfect dart.

In this snippet it said to use artists tape to mark along the dart lines. I figured, “what the hell?” and went to Joann’s with my 40% off coupon to get some. After much hunting a nice lady found it for me in the fancy painting supplies (not the crafter paint the faaaaancy paint lol). I picked up a low-tack tape and was on my way. Check out the final results here. Do you have any tips or tricks to form the perfect dart?

rockabillykitten's posts / rockabillykitten's website

Tegan July 17, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I’m confused about what it did. Did you sew in a straighter line? Did it reinforce the fabric so it didn’t shift while sewing against the grain? What is the point of using this tape?

rockabillykitten July 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm

All of the above. It stabilized during sewing and made the fabric more manageable for a precise matching of the marks, enables the dart to be tapered correctly so the end/tip of the dart did not pucker, created an excellent straight line to follow.

Tegan July 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Ah! The non-puckering is difficult to control… I will have to look into this! Thanks!

rockabillykitten July 17, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I am happy I found this trick. It worked on my little darts on my shorts I am making. I hope it works on larger pleats. Let me know how it goes.

MrsC July 18, 2012 at 5:44 am

Darts! I have found that sewing them free hand with confidence, marking on the beginning and end, is the best way to go. Takes practice mind you. To avoid a bulky point, run the machine off the edge for an couple of inches and thread the resulting tail back into the dart cavity with a hand sewing needle.

LadyD July 18, 2012 at 10:08 am

I always sew my darts by hand. But then I tend to sew 90% of stuff by hand and don’t have any puckering problems.