Almost there , but I could do with your opinion….

by mrsbeevintage on July 21, 2012 · 17 comments

in 1950s

Hello again from SUNNY England, yes it was actually sunny today :)

some of you who catch my page on facebook know that i am making a 1950s dress for Twinwood , this is a vintage

festival in Bedford England the last three days of August…great fun 1940s and 1950s big dress up party…

You may also know that I made a 1940s Dress for my daughter to get her dancing …

well it worked and she will be dancing at Twinwood with her new pals :)

Anyway back to the dress..

I am using an original 50′s pattern (Weldons 2735) I got on esty from the USA ,

although the pattern contruction was quite basic, so I changed a few things :)

all the seams are french seams, and I put in piping and facings instead of just biasing of the edges, I also cut the bolero twice so it looks the same inside and out…I will show you all more about that another time if your intested along with a picture of me wearing it

As the fabric is an original printed 1950s cotton and i have stayed true to the period i wanted original buttons to finish it ….

I have been having very little luck finding some until today when I recieved a package from ebay …these arrived

sweet, but I’m not sure they are right for the dress…

difficult I know , but if you could give it a moment and let me know what you think…PLEASE :)

Ohh I also thought you might like to see the sweet little hat I found  to go with it …

I teach the technical side of costume for performance at london college of fashion.i collect and sell vintage sewing equipment and i make on of garments for clients using vintage patterns,notions and fabric where possble. I also love an oppertunity to dress up in vintage at any excuse which i have been doing for 40 years...

mrsbeevintage's posts / mrsbeevintage's website

Tegan July 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm

If that’s the hat you’re wearing with it, I’d say that the buttons go along fine. If you were wearing something a little more quiet, I’d say go with a plain round button. But since you’re making a splash, go all out!

Angela W. July 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I’m with Tegan on this one. I’m not sure how many buttons you will need to use, but I think you will be okay with those adorable buttons! I LOVE the hat.

jax black July 21, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Ten buttons down the front, plain would be nice, i just cant find any …i love
the my hat :) bit girlie for an old girl but what the heck …lol.

Katherine July 21, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I think plain white buttons but my husband likes the ones you have on there, so we cancel each other out ;) You’re going to look smashing regardless!

Tina C. July 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I love the buttons, but I have to go with plain. I think the pattern of the fabric–which is fabulous but a bit “busy” (though the piping grounds that busy-ness)–overwhelms the buttons and they get lost. Buttons like that deserve to be showcased all on their own!

EmSewCrazy July 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Plain white buttons would definitely keep the focus on the dress and are my first choice! The floral ones are the right color and would work though if nothing else can be found.

Debbie July 21, 2012 at 10:17 pm

The hat is so cute! The workmanship is beautiful! I think plain buttons would be better. Somehow these cute buttons look more housecoat and less dressy. Just my take, and I lean far to the too simple side.

Jeanne Marie July 22, 2012 at 1:51 am

I love the buttons. I’m a little tired of plain buttons, so I encourage you to use the fun ones!

LadyD July 22, 2012 at 4:23 am

I like the dress. Fabric is lovely and I have a soft spot for piping seams. What about having pearl buttons that look like the pearls in your hat?

Jenni July 22, 2012 at 7:05 am

I love the buttons! But then, I love whimsical, sweet, girly things, so I would of course always choose the flowery button over a plain one. ;)

Heather Latchford July 22, 2012 at 8:28 am

What does your beautiful daughter say….here’s is the only point of view that matters on this. If she’s like mine, she’d go for all out glam…buttons and all.

Beautiful work!

jax black July 23, 2012 at 3:52 am

thankyou Heather your ‘Beautiful work’ comment has made my day :)

Housewife Betty July 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I like the pearl idea. Dressier than plain, but not too much. I really love the floral ones, but I have to admit I see them on a quieter fabric. I agree that they get lost on that pretty print. They will definitely work, I just think they might stand out more on a different fabric. That dress turned out gorgeous! I also love the piped seams.

jax black July 23, 2012 at 3:50 am

Thankyou so much ladies and gentleman :) I think I knew that I am going to have to go with plain ones( buzy pattern and cotton) although now I have to make another dress for the flowery ones :) so I will keep searching , thanks again for your help .

Miss Ava Kitten July 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

Can I just say that I am jealous. Every year I winge on about going to Twinwood and every year something crops up – as is the case this year, boo hoo. Anyhoo – loving the fabric and the style of dress, hat is to die for, I must say plain on the busy fabric would be preferable, you do not want to take away from what you have already done by giving people too much to look at (long winded for a Monday afternoon). Hope you enjoy your long weekend.

Irene July 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

I am EXCEEDINGLY jealous of your adorable buttons and fabulous hat. I say go for it!

jax black July 23, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Thanks again all gor your fab comments,good advice as ever.i have now found some more suitable buttons .
and as for Twinwood,i will only be going for one day, but will deff take pictures and give you all a little report when i get back