I recently found this McCall’s pattern for a jumpsuit from 1976 at a local charity shop. It has several wonderful features. Foremost, I like the simplicity of it coupled with the gathered detail at the shoulder/sleeve area. The other feature I really like is the channel at the back for a tie (which you can see on my photo) or through which you could insert a belt of your choice.
Even though this was an incredibly easy pattern to follow and sew, I had two problems that delayed my finishing and almost reconciled this garment to the scrap heap. The major problem was that the torso was too short and whenever I attempted to lift my arms there was an issue with “cramming.” I was happily able to solve this by adding the smallest of gussets. What a difference! That led me down a long and winding trail through the history of gussets and the construction of men’s pants (a garment where apparently you really want a gusset if you’re planning to ride a horse or make a high kick).
The second problem was my own fault. I used a second hand zipper because I wanted an authentic 70s feel when I zipped it up. Unfortunately the zipper I chose was more worn through than I thought and the fabric began to tear away from the garment. I reconciled to replacing it with a new one. I also decided to shorten the trousers to knee length (those wide legs were so heavy!). You can see more pictures on my blog.