⁃ Fabric: some cheap cotton blend thing that should have been better used just as a toile, as i know the weight of the fabric is not really conducive to wearable garments-as i have made a top out of this stuff before. Dont worry i wont do it again. As you will notice from my pics, there is a red and orange in my blouse, i didnt have enough red and i figured the orange will contrast-but it really looks to washed out. (shrug)
⁃ Pattern: free burda peplum blouse in wrong size so i had to grade up (i dont know how to grade?)
⁃ Year: modern 1940’s style blouse
⁃ Notions: 2 yellow buttons (i only have an assortment of yellow buttons so i am kind of limited. Although after showing my bf my finished blouse he so sensitively told me that the yellow buttons were different shades -dammmm you.
⁃ Time to complete: 8 months or some horrible timeframe like that, it has literally plagued my thoughts, like well the plague. I stopped. started.stopped.moved house.started. The areas of most annoyance were the sizing, creating a button opening and the gathered sleeves-it literally took me 4 hours to do the 1 sleeve so it didnt look cack.
⁃ First worn: after making it, after all that grading up its still too big in the waist and the back is shorter, so not great without a cinch belt
⁃ Total price: bought some new red thread, everything else already had or was given – like a chisel set that im using for buttonhole slicing.
Well it took me awhile, but i did survive and finish it. Yes it has alot of mistakes but im just taking this as just one big learning curve.
– What I learnt:
Dont be over-ambitious, messing about with tricky details
Your size-This pattern was from the burda magazine, not my size! but you know how it is you fall in ove with a pattern arghhh. so grading up i thought would be as simple as adding some inches, WRONG! I had to add a front portion to the top as it was initially a blouse-buttons up front-so it really looks nothing like the original pattern/style picture. So please dont run before you can walk – buy for your measurements. it will only lead to massive frustration.
I did pick up the iron alot more,i love this quote ”if you dont have time to iron, you dont have time to sew”
Im not cutting corners as much anymore, using more interfacing web and ive used bias tape for the first time.
Im getting over my miser tendancies, yay. So im going to buy some proper toile-scouts honour.
A big thank you to all the peeps who post on wesewretro, you motivate and inspire me.xx