Simplicity 6845 Groovey tops!

This was one of those sewing projects I cut out a couple of months ago, and it’s finally complete!  Wohoo, I used the last of this beautiful fabric, a jersey knit, that my mum gave me.  I’m thinking it’s quite vintage, superb quality and I’ve not seen anything like it before.

I wanted to make version 1, however, not quite enough fabric for sleeves, so it’s sleeveless with the lovely rolled collar. Nice fabric huh?  Such an unusual print too.

I have used it before, for one of my first ‘real’ sewing projects here, so I was familiar with it, quite thick, no fraying edges.  I found under the arm seams were quite weighty, so wanted to rim any excesses around those areas where you get a build up of layers.

I did have some issues, and I wondered what other sewers do – actually I should confess – I did not use any iron-on facing, partly because I thought it may feel very bulky, and this is a knit fabric and I wasn’t sure about whether you need an iron facing to match – stretch wise, if you know what I mean?

My other concern was around ensuring the arm facing does not wriggle out when I wear it, previously I’ve just sewn a couple of stitches into the side and shoulder seams to hold it – but that has not always fixed the problem.  I didn’t want to topstitch this one as a solution either.

So I decided to sew it all the way around, as I would a hem and it has worked well, my mannequin was invaluable for this task, as I have managed to get it to sit naturally.

Here’s the finished top…

I’m one of those readers who LOVES to see outfits on people rather than dress forms, but I’ve not managed to get me, my finished outfits and another person to weld the camera together at the same time, so these will have to do, I like to think it looks better on me!

One thing I found was that it is much more roomy than I would usually wear, and my mum dissuaded me from adding darts (!) to make it more fitting, I do like to try to be true to the style I’m working on.

I’ve also found my best fit from the vintage patterns I’ve been using is 14, so this is probably another reason why it feels a little big. The pattern called for a zipper, but I went with a hook and loop instead, another thing I found was that the collar piece was much longer than needed, so I had to improvise the finish a touch, and it is slightly wonky.

All in all, I loved this top, and found it pretty quick and easy to put together, even between the busy kids… I will wear it definitely, when summer comes!  And I’m already planning a long sleeve version…

There are a few more photos on my blog.

• Meet the Author • Mermaids Purse



Love what you've seen so far? Subscribe by email to receive all the week's posts delivered to your inbox in one big glorious email every Friday.

Inbox overflowing? Follow us on Bloglovin instead!

Find the WeSewRetro crew chatting on Facebook and sharing pretties on Pinterest.

5 comments… add one

  • I love that top and fabric. The fabric is beautiful. The top reminds me of Peggy Sager’s Anne’s Top which has that folded over neckline and french darts. You do have darts on the top that can be taken in a bit more if you want it more fitted. French darts are da bomb! When you make the top again, I suggest making the collar one piece that you just fold so there is no seam on the edge. You can also cut a strip of fabric and bind the armholes instead of doing a facing, you would just have to trim the seam allowance. Anyway, now I want to make one.

    Reply
  • Love the fabric and the top is super cute! Looks like you did a nice job even with all the altering you did. I agree with trying bias binding or strips of the fabric for the armholes. It does make a sometimes easier finish. I have had good results using it.

    Reply
  • Great top and what a lovely fabric find!
    For fusing it is possible to find knitted fuse. A good quality one will make your facings less stretch than the original fabric but it will still stretch a bit which is ideal for keeping the tops shape but still being able to have it move with your body.
    As for the facings – if you don’t want to use a bind or stitch on top becuase of the look – You can always make the neck and arm facing an all-in-one. I find that then you will only need to stitch the arm facing own to the side seam under the arm. If you’re not sure how to make an all-in-one facing send me an email and I can give you some instructions (it’s a little long for here)!

    Reply
  • This is wonderful!
    Pattern and fabric!!

    Reply
  • I love this pattern! That neckline is adorable.

    Reply

Don’t Be Shy » Leave a Comment!