Hello all, I have just finished a little 1940s dress for my lovely daughter who has just taken up ‘Swing’ dancing and I must say loving it…she’s like a duck to water 🙂
the original dress was found in a charity shop in london , the shop originally wanted £25 for it , but it was in such poor condition I persuaded them to sell it to me for £5 and planned to use it as a pattern.
I put it to one side and then came across two pairs of grey polka dot pillow slips in a sale.
I thought these would fit in great with a ‘make do and mend’ theme.
I adjusted the dress pattern very slightly by putting a centre back zip in (I used a peach invisible one , not vintage this time)
(opps, sorry forgot to turn piccie)
and some shirring at the front shoulder as my daughter has a good size bust and without (as in the original) it looked bulky.
I turned the hem up to the regulation war time 19″ from the ground 🙂 and used original fabric cut on the bias to finish it of…
I must say my daughter and I am very pleased with the result , especially as a chap she met a a dance weekend said her dress was beautiful and
looked like it was made for her…well it was !! :))
Maxine all ready for the dance with original 1940s brouges and victory rolls by me…
hope you enjoy my post as much as I enjoy all of yours. Mrs Bee