As many of you have confessed on this site, I too have been “creeping” silently on this site before taking the plunge and deciding to post some of my creations.
For my first post, I decided I would show the project I finished most recently: a simple 1950s top from an original Simplicity pattern – the basic view.
The fabric I used is a modern polyester faux silk I had picked up just because I liked the colour palette – wine, black, white and grey in an abstract pattern. Normally, I’m not big on patterns of any kind, but I’m trying to branch out in my wardrobe.
Due to the slippery nature of the fabric, I decided to underline the whole bodice with a wine coloured organza. Doing this allowed me to omit the use of interfacing of any kind, which made me happy as the instructions called for the interfacing to be fused to fabric instead of the facings. Personally, I am not a fan of this method and find any which way to avoid it whenever possible!
I hand based the organza pieces onto my fabric and then hand stitched the markings for the darts in the yellow silk thread. I find that silk thread is worth the cost when doing a project like this as I can use a thinner needle which eliminates (or at least cuts down) any flaws running a needle through the middle of your fabric can cause.
I serged my raw edges as the organza decided to start fraying. I think when I do this pattern again, I might use bias tape instead to make it look prettier on the inside. My personal preference is to use invisible zippers whenever I can as I’m not a fan of lapped zippers. (Might also have something to do with the fact that technically I’m better at putting in an invisible zipper than a lapped zipper, but let’s pretend I’ve made the conscious choice to use the invisible zip!) I also hand stitched the hem with a wee blind stitch. I felt that running a machined line of stitching at the hem would break up the clean lines of this top. The organza made pressing the hem a little challenging – I wasn’t able to obtain a REALLY crisp hem without the fear of scorching any of the fabric – even with a pressing cloth.
All in all, I really liked how this turned out. I think I would like to make this one again – I’m thinking the one with the bow and possibly finding a way to incorporate contrasting piping in the vertical darts.