McCalls 5263 (1959) “Short Shorts”

by tina vines on June 20, 2012 · 7 comments

in 1950s,Embroidery,Pants / Trousers,Vintage Sewing

I decided to give these shorts a go, since I’ve always loved the look of high waisted shorts but don’t actually own any! Im usually NOT a shorts person, but these have converted me! They were easy to sew up & came together quite quickly (which i know we all love!).

I chose the "short shorts"

I chose a light weight wool in dark brown that i had laying around & even added a personal touch by hand embroidering a little bow design on the waistband!

Here are some photos of the finished product! Im quite happy with how they came out & it just so happened to be a nice warm day here in Berkeley…perfect for my new shorts’ debut!!

My Finished Shorts!

close up photo of the color & embroidery

my little hand embroidered bow!

I highly recommend these shorts to all of you gals who are looking for nice summer patterns…they’re great!

xoxo,
tina

im a vintage-loving gal living in berkeley, california who runs a traditional, hand-painted sign shop with her talented boyfriend & loves sewing from vintage patterns! www.vintagelovingal.wordpress.com

tina vines's posts / tina vines's website

Lizzy June 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Great job ! and that bow detail is so cute! I am planning to do some shorts like that, I don’t have a vintage pattern, but as I sewed some pants for my mom and are highweisted so I am gonna use them as my pattern

A.J.A. June 20, 2012 at 6:24 pm

They are super cute! I love the bow detail! It’s little touches like that that make home sewn garments so cool.

Rachel June 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I have this pattern- I have been procrastinating making them though LOL
Yours look lovely- I really like the bow detail!

Nora June 21, 2012 at 12:32 am

TOO CUTE! I’ve always wanted something like that, but can’t find them in store. I’ve recently started to sew so I will keep an eye for that pattern! Would you consider it easy enough for beginners?

tina vines June 21, 2012 at 12:43 am

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Yes, i think you could handle this as a beginner…nothing too tricky. there is a side zipper & pocket on the other side seam, but the instructions are very clear. i say you go for it, the best way to learn is by doing!

Katherine June 21, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I’ve sold this pattern a couple of times, but always thought it was a bit blah. I’m happy to say you’ve totally proved me wrong – those shorts came out wonderfully. The bow detail is absolutely perfect.

EmSewCrazy June 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Super CUTE! It’s good to know these are easy to make and way cuter in real life than on the pattern cover. I’m procrastinating on making myself shorts. But I am running out of pants to wear so I better get busy.