How hard can it be? Drafting a blouse….

by LadyD on June 6, 2012 · 11 comments

in 1940s,1950s,Blouses

Is there a modern pattern that is available that would give this kind of shape blouse?

It looks quite similar to the style of top that’s popular now.

And I wonder if its as simple as it looks maybe I could try to make my own pattern? Is it just an inverted triangle?

Has anyone who’s made one before give me some pointers?

Update: I just remembered this pattern from vintage vogue. I could use the top half of the dress perhaps?

And this has elements of the shape.

UPDATE:

I found this pattern

Which looks like it has the right shape…I need to do some skinny seams to make it fit but should work. Hoping to do no.4 first just to test it out.

I've always hand sewn but never created garments until recently. I love the retro/vintage style. Its so much more stylish and flattering than modern stuff. For my dancing escapades and folk music http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.co.uk/ For sewing, craft and general blog http://stitchintimeandspace.blogspot.co.uk/

LadyD's posts / LadyD's website

D'ellis June 6, 2012 at 8:54 am

Sorry I can’t help with your question. Encourage you to keep checking…

Meanwhile, I do love the pattern, especially view 4… and 1… actually, all but the buttoned up collar!

LadyD June 6, 2012 at 9:07 am

I like all of them…but particularly the one with the bow

LBC June 6, 2012 at 9:04 am

I don’t know offhand, but why don’t you browse the websites to see if you find one? My guess is that, if you find one that’s pretty close, you could basically do a pattern alteration for broad and/or square (less sloped) shoulders to exaggerate it to 1940′s proportions.

Also, get on Etsy or somewhere and look for similar patterns (they’ll be from the late 1940′s–that shoulder line is classic 1947-1949), and, if they have views of the back of the pattern packets, take note of the shapes of the bodice pieces.

LadyD June 6, 2012 at 9:22 am

Interesting…..
*goes and gets distracted at looking at vintage patterns on etsy*

Emily June 6, 2012 at 9:11 am

This pattern from Colette is close – http://www.colettepatterns.com/shop/sencha.
Maybe you could alter at the neckline to get the look you want.

LadyD June 6, 2012 at 9:22 am

That’s the nearest I’ve seen to the right silhouette in modern patterns.

Spikklubba June 7, 2012 at 5:57 am

Both the Colette Patterns Sencha and Vogue 8811 is good choices when it comes to modern patterns. Many pattern drafting books have instructions for making this (at least those from the 80s and 90s) and it is quite simple but not as simple as an inverted triangle.

LadyD June 7, 2012 at 7:21 am

Thanks for the advice. Its a shape I never would have picked before. But I tried one on just by chance and was surprised to find it suited me.

Molly June 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm

It would be very easy to draft, its basically a rectangle with kimono sleeves and some darts/waist shaping. If you can find a sleeveless blouse, you can easily extend the shoulders to get a similar look.
Here is the envelope back so you can see the shape of the pattern pieces and line drawing: http://img0.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.310415744.jpg

Its not dissimilar to this pattern, although this one has nothing in the way of shaping added but you could. Its easy to draft at least!

Jayne June 9, 2012 at 1:30 am

Hi,
I made this blouse for my recent production of 42nd Street.
Are you looking for a copy of this pattern as I have it in 3 sizes?
12/30
14/32
16/34
I can put one on my Esty shop if you want to buy one.
Cheers
Jayne

LadyD June 11, 2012 at 3:59 am

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve managed to find a very similar pattern in my mum’s pattern stash (its from the 80′s but gives the right basic shape) which with a few modifications will work.