This dress has been percolating for a while, ever since I admired this project on Burdastyle. I love 50′s dresses but making one with such an unexpected print felt much more modern and wearable for me.I used a mix of two rather psychedelic African wax prints. Both have a fuchsia batik background but with large silkscreened acorns and eyes superimposed on top. Trippy AND awesome.
I used Butterick 5748, a reproduction pattern from the 50′s. It was super easy to make. I lined it with cotton voile and poly organza to make a nice full skirt that wouldn’t need a crinolone (as per Gertie’s suggestion). You can find more photos and info at my blog here.