Vintage Vogue 2671: Yet one more toile…

by silverstah on May 2, 2012 · 13 comments

in 1930s

I promise, at some point, these will actually get made up in the actual fabric. :)  I have five toiles to complete, for two actresses – it makes sense to get them all finished and just do a single fitting, as opposed to bringing the actresses in for multiple fittings.  But I AM getting tired of muslin…

And, the toile:

I’m glad that I did the finishing work on this one, as well – the finishing on the neck plackets was a little weird.  I’m having so much fun experimenting with these vintage patterns!

More photos at my blog, here!

silverstah's posts / silverstah's website

robin May 3, 2012 at 9:07 am

i just love your work and just pray that someday my work will be somewhere near yours! Fantastic.

silverstah May 3, 2012 at 10:00 am

Aw, thank you! I get a lot of practice – I sew almost every day. :)

Jade May 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I am also loving your posts. What is the pattern number for this one? I remember when Vogue reissued this pattern. I have been kicking myself for years for not snatching it up when it was in print. I would love to put in on my “most wanted” list to hunt down.

silverstah May 3, 2012 at 2:46 pm

It’s Vogue 2671 – glad you’re enjoying the posts! I only have one more toile to complete this week (thank goodness – I’m getting tired of muslin!), fittings on Monday and Tuesday, and then I get to actually make the “real” garments. Looking forward to it. (Well, mostly. One of them is a fitted, full length sequined gown – working with sequins is not my favorite!)

parismegs May 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I can’t wait to see the finished garments…I am really keen on costume design – for when I finish my fashion course :-)

silverstah May 4, 2012 at 9:50 am

Wonderful! Welcome to the fabulous world of costume design. Are you interested in theatre or film?

parismegs May 4, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I don’t know yet…probably theatre….I hope to do a costume design course after I finish my fashion course. I don’t really know what’s out there in Australia :-)

learningnewtricks May 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Beautiful muslin — you might consider dying the fabric, so you could wear it. I love this pattern with all of the pleating and details. You did a nice job.

silverstah May 4, 2012 at 9:51 am

Thank you! I tend to write all over my toiles with sharpie when I’m doing fittings – so it won’t look this pretty and pristine once I’m done with it. ;)

Harriet Bazley May 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm

But your muslins look so attractive!

silverstah May 13, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Aw, thank you! :)

Claudia May 11, 2012 at 9:32 am

I agree with Harriet about your muslins. They look great! But I can totally imagine you’re looking forward to color. I sympathize re those sequins, though. Totally in awe of your work. Those pleats … the collar … how do you get to be that good? :-)

silverstah May 13, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I started on the actual garments this week – color has definitely been nice, but I DO miss how easy the muslin is to work with. Now I have slippery silk jacquard, sequins, and sheer chiffons. ACK! :)

Aw, thanks! Just lots and lots of practice, and lots and lots of patience. :)