Superior Pattern Company #1908 – Mid-20′s day dress

by silverstah on May 4, 2012 · 7 comments

in 1920s

I DO actually have some finished pieces… not just muslin toiles! ;)

This dress was created for the character of Fraulein Schneider in a local university production of ‘Cabaret’.  Although the play is set in 1930/31, I decided to set F. Schneider’s fashion in the mid 20′s – she’s a working class woman, older, and would certainly not be as fashionable as the 19-year old Sally Bowles. :)

The pattern had to be graded up for the actress – which really isn’t that much work for these 20′s dresses. :)  I used some vintage lace details at the cuff and bodice to bring the dress into the world of the play:

(The ratty jacket in the back is for a different play!)

More photos at my blog, here!

silverstah's posts / silverstah's website

Jade May 4, 2012 at 10:08 am

Can’t wait to see more! I know the long hours in the costume shop, behind closed doors… it does make you want to share. Thanks for doing so, again.

silverstah May 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

Thank you!

Yeah – the summers are lonely. During the school year I have students, but they’re all gone now! I can’t wait for August when I have them around again…

D'ellis May 4, 2012 at 11:50 am

Your work is faultless, and I love the lace details. Perhaps because I’ve been studying 30′s things this week, with more figure definition and design details – feel sorry that the “older, working class” women of the 20′s didn’t yet have designs and colors to flatter and uplift their spirits a bit more. Thanks for such interesting posts!

A.J.A. May 4, 2012 at 6:34 pm

This is wonderful, and I have really enjoyed seeing the muslins as well. All of your work is just lovely!

Foster May 4, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Thanks you for posting your lovely muslins and now finished work. Keep posting. I love to see the beautiful costumes you are making!

Pippa May 5, 2012 at 6:41 am

Lovely work, So interesting seeing the muslins as well as the finished garments x

Time and again May 7, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I agree – really lovely work; and great to see the pattern, through muslin process and onto the finished outfits.