Pattern dates

by busylizzie

in 1950s,1960s,Vintage Sewing

Just wondering if anyone is able to help with dates for these patterns I just bought.  Thanks in advance.  I hope to make the frilled one first – look our for pics soon!!

Originally from Christchurch, NZ, I now live in sunny Brisbane. I have always had a fascination with all things old and really think I was born in the wrong time. I now collect sewing and knitting patterns from the 40s, 50s & early 60s.

busylizzie's posts / busylizzie's website

Katherine May 21, 2012 at 11:18 pm

The simplicity and the advance are from around 1962. The new york one is earlier (and adorable!)

LizJane May 22, 2012 at 12:16 am

try this site for searching for retro pattern details…

Harriet Bazley May 22, 2012 at 5:36 pm

http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Simplicity_4633_A might be nearer the mark – they obviously re-used the pattern number! It doesn’t really give you any further useful information, though; and the other two patterns aren’t in the database at all. (If you were feeling very kind, you might upload them….)

Netty May 22, 2012 at 4:56 am

Gorgeous patterns!!

Cecilia May 22, 2012 at 11:17 am

I am hoping that someone can help me find a 1950′s pattern dress/ outfit for my daughter…she is a size 7-9 and she has her eyes set on a Tea Dress or Pencil Skirt and Rib Jacket. Is there anyone who can help me out? Please.

sewinghappyplace May 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Cecilia-

I submit this for your consideration. it is from the late 40s, early 50s time frame. I think it is adorable. No pressure, just sharing. – cyndi

Renie May 22, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Can’t wait to see that New York one made up!

Jessamyn May 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm

BusyLizzie, the New York pattern dates after the introduction of the New Look, the dropping of hems, and the dissolution of shoulder pads – but before really full skirts and pointy shoes. In other words, it’s from the very late ’40s or very early ’50s.