≑ Menu

Men’s Western Shirt 1949 (simplicity 3054)

I just finished sewing up this fun western shirt for my honey (the handsome model in the photo below) from Simplicity pattern 3054 from 1949.

I used dark brown & tan lightweight wool and a plethora of cream colored piping for this project. I also added pearl snaps instead of the buttons which were suggested for a more traditional western look.

the finished product!

I’m really satisfied with the result aside from a few tiny details that no one will ever notice except me.

back view

While sewing this up, I learned how to do these nifty arrowhead tacks on the pockets…aren’t they fun? Of course they are and guess what? They’re easy too! I referred to an awesome tutorial that I found on the Coletterie website ( http://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/arrowhead-tack-tutorial ), which i love!

hand sewn arrowhead tacks & tricky welt pockets!

My honey loves the shirt & even wore it for a recent show with his band! πŸ™‚

About the author: im a vintage-loving gal living in berkeley, california who runs a traditional, hand-painted sign shop with her talented boyfriend & loves sewing from vintage patterns! www.vintagelovingal.wordpress.com

{ 21 comments… add one }
  • silverstah May 2, 2012, 6:22 pm

I love every tiny little thing about this! The finishing details are perfect, and the colors are wonderfully manly! πŸ™‚

• SueC May 2, 2012, 7:25 pm

Wow that looks terrific! Love all those little details!

• Katherine May 2, 2012, 7:42 pm

Oh, I love this! I’m on a real western shirt kick lately.

• A.J.A. May 2, 2012, 8:21 pm

I love western shirts, and yours came out great! Really, really nice work on this!

• tina vines May 2, 2012, 8:52 pm

thanks for the kind words! im pretty fond of it myself! πŸ™‚

• Moe May 2, 2012, 10:32 pm

What a fantastic job! All that piping and the smile pockets. Looks absolutely perfect.

• FiftiesFrocks May 3, 2012, 1:44 am

Wow this shirt looks so very professional. And I love the colour combination! You’ve almost convinced me to sew something for my own hubby – the thing that usually deters me is the fact that he isn’t too outgoing with his clothing choices and I have found it hard to justify the time when I know I can pick-up exactly what he wants at a small price. Maybe if I show him your shirt he want one!
    And thanks for the link – the arrow heads do look quiet simple.

• Cynthia May 3, 2012, 2:33 am

Oh em gee this is fantastic. My husband requested one just like it when I showed him. I especially like the arrowhead tacks. This is a snazzy shirt!

• Miss Ava Kitten May 3, 2012, 2:50 am

This is absolutely fantastic, you do realise my boyfriend will now be pestering me to do the same – thanks because this is what I needed to get me started on the male patterns I have collected – very well done and you look pretty cool in it too xmx

• Vicki Perry May 3, 2012, 6:59 am

Wow! I’m in awe! This is an amazing shirt. Adding piping makes such a difference!

• Lauren May 3, 2012, 9:44 am

Very nice! I love western shirts πŸ˜€

• Jeanne May 3, 2012, 10:53 am

That is a very fine shirt. I like that you used light weight wool and carried through with all the little details.
    …. and you really are causing problems for those of us not generous to sew for our guys ! πŸ˜‰

• cowgirl24 May 3, 2012, 9:54 pm

Great job! I love the piping. My next western shirt may have to have piping too. I haven’t done it in a loooonnnngg time, but I’m inspired!

• Lauren May 4, 2012, 2:17 pm

Fantastic!!!! It looks just like an original!
    I actually have this pattern and started making it for my husband, but I admit it was a little more work than I anticipated and it’s been sitting in a baggie for a few years. Your version makes me want to take it out and revisit it! πŸ™‚

• Time and again May 7, 2012, 6:59 pm

What a brilliant shirt! I just love the piping and the arrowhead tacks!

• Aj Lee May 8, 2012, 11:02 am

The shirts coming along great and lurv all the pretty colors of the snaps .

• Aj Lee May 8, 2012, 11:34 am

By the way this shirt can be made more simple just by following the instructions without flat felting the seams. When I first started making these shirts I did not flat felt the seams. I did not have much experience sewing garments either. So shirts really are not all the difficult to sew.
    Sunshiine

• Molly May 17, 2012, 3:31 pm

That is an amazing shirt, so much detail and work. You should be extremely proud!

• Sophie June 19, 2012, 6:11 am

Wow! That’s an amazing work! My boyfriend would look sooo handsome with it! (Even if he already is without it ^^). Congratulations for this great shirt! πŸ˜€

• Kathy September 27, 2012, 3:48 pm

I would love to get ahold of this pattern! Any suggestions??
    My search for it brought up your link. You did a FABULOUS job on this one!!

• tina vines November 14, 2012, 10:29 pm

Hi Kathy.

I borrowed this pattern from a friend, so I’m really not sure about where to look for one. My best suggestion would be to search Etsy.com for it, or at least something similar.

Thanks for the compliment, I loved making this one..it turned out well for my first western shirt!