Where to buy fabric?

I’m a newbie to retro/vintage sewing. Where does everyone get their fabrics? The fabrics shops in my town have mostly cheap, see through fabrics. I don’t mind paying for good fabric.

• Meet the Author • JulieG

• Etsy! Also, I don’t know what the thrift store situation is like where you live but I often yet really great yardage that people have destashed at my local thrift store. Good Luck !

• Thank you so much. I’m already buying vintage patterns from Etsy. Now to look for fabric.

• ebay is a good source for vintage yardage, but shipping can be expensive because of the weight of fabrics. These are American sources.

also, online sources with cheaper shipping costs are

Gorgeous Fabrics, which has great sales: http://www.gorgeousfabrics.com/shop/index.php

Fabric Mart

And I agree with hulagirl, thrift stores often have cheap vintage fabric but it takes some digging.

• Thank you! I’ll check these out.

• I sell vintage fabrics on ETSY but to find them locally, I would recommend thrift stores and auctions. I have found some GREAT fabrics at estate auctions. Not all thrifts even carry fabrics, so just find the ones that do and visit them often.

• Yes I’m buying vintage patterns as fast as I can from you! I haven’t seen thrift stores that sell fabrics but I will be looking specifically for fabrics now. There are estate auctions regularly here, I’ll watch for those now. Thank you!

• Hi Julie

Welcome to the amazing land of sewing. Fabric buying is a bit of an addiction to me and this is what I have found lately:

I find thrift shops are great if you have the patience. In the past I have found amazing fabrics that are unique and impossible to get elsewhere but usually after looking for quiet some time. And lately as more people discover the adventure of thrift shopping I find it harder and harder to find nice pieces that are big enough to use for some of my projects.

I sew a lot of my dresses from 100% cotton – usually in prints. Lately I have been buying a lot of quilting fabrics as I find that the quality tends to be a little nicer than a lot of the dress fabric. It’s a bit thicker and more stable and there are a lot more print options as well. While I have a lot of stores available in my area (lucky me) I also purchase online. My favourite online store is http://www.hawthornethreads.com/ They have an ever-changing stock with accurate and clear descriptions & pictures. Their site is easy to navigate and I think very affordable. It’s a US based site but I in Australia and find their shipping affordable and quick.

Finally this site is an endless list of online fabric stores. I still haven’t looked at them all but I will one day!

Hope this helps!

• Thanks! The websites have lots of fabric. Fabriclist has fabrics listed by type which is so helpful.

• I LOVE fabric.com, I always have to try to hold myself back, otherwise I would order fabric from them twice a week at least…. shipping over $35 is free and they always have great sales going on.
    Another website that I look at a lot is reproductionfabrics.com. I have not ordered from them yet, but they have a nice selection of reproduction fabrics going back to the 1800′s. Very tempting.
    Good luck!

• Thank you very much! There is lots of fabric to check out on these sites. I probably have your problem now of having to hold myself back! It’s a wonderful problem though. :)

• Hi Julie
    Welcome to the world of fabric and vintage addiction! Like lots of others, I source my vintage fabrics from thrift stores & yard sales and there are lots of sellers of vintage fabrics on Etsy too. I sell fat quarters of vintage fabric in my Etsy store http://www.etsy.com/shop/getsmitten which are ideal for smaller projects or for details such as pockets or trims on larger projects!
    Happy sewing!
    Lisa x

• I get much of my vintage fabrics from family members’ stashes, lol (like all the fabrics in my shop). I have also gotten some nice ones through trades via Etsy or SwapWorkshop.

• JulieG, where do you live? I realize that though it’s unlikely, I can recommend a few good places if you live in the Orlando, Fl area.

• Hi,

If you still want vintage fabrics, you can find it on these links:

« LAST POST