The Blue Fans

by Tamara on April 3, 2012 · 7 comments

in 1940s

Although summer is officially over here in Australia, we’re still having lovely weather. With any luck I’ll get another chance to wear the Blue Fans dress before the sun disappears.

Hollywood 1606 - 1940s sun dress

The front shows off the fan print beautifully, but the back is where it’s at…

I can’t tell you how much I love this dress! It’s so comfortable and the bow on the back really puts a spring in my step. It was originally nearly 2 inches longer -  you can find pics on my blog – but the shorter version is so much sassier!

- Tamara

I have been collecting & sewing from Vintage patterns (30s-50s) for the past 5 years. My favourite era to sew is the 40s & the style suits me to a tea.

Tamara's posts / Tamara's website

Miss Ava Kitten April 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

I am seriously green with envy – this is truly beautiful. I also have quite a hoard of patterns from the 40s and 50s and plan to make every single one of them!

Sølvi April 3, 2012 at 11:26 am

Oh, I really can understand why you love this dress, it´s so pretty! And the bow in the back just makes it so special! Love it! :-)

Cynthia April 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I love the back and your fabric choice it’s the perfect complement to this dress. So cute!

karen April 3, 2012 at 2:58 pm

It’s really lovely; you did a great job – also loved how you matched fabric to pattern so well. It’s so very difficult to put fabric and pattern together (often with disastrous or simply ugly results) and you did a great job. It seems to be a very hard skill to master. Plus it looks amazing on you.

Camelia Crinoline April 4, 2012 at 12:19 am

I love it. The fabric is gorgeous and the bow in the back is like a cute surprise.

Jessamyn April 4, 2012 at 8:28 am

The way the shape of the fans is echoed in the construction of the bow and the neckline of the front halter is really clever! And I love a crisp blue-and-white dress for summer. So well done.

Kelina April 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm

BEAUTIFUL! Great execution & fabric choice, and looks lovely on you!