McCall’s 7345 – 1930’s adorableness!

Hi there – long time reader, first time poster. :)

I work in a university theatre department, and I’ll be putting together a number of 1930’s patterns for a play this summer.  I usually draft my own patterns – but time is of the essence, and all my student labor has gone home for the summer!

First up is a 1930’s McCall’s pattern:

Super cute, eh?  The challenge on this one was that my actress has a bust that’s about 8″ larger than the pattern bust – so it had to be severely graded up.   The toile looks very promising, though:

I can’t wait to try it on my actress and put it together in the fashion fabric!

More photos on my blog, here and here.

• Meet the Author • silverstah

• Welcome to our 177th contributor! Thrilled to have you onboard :D

Oh, this is looking awesome. Love the bows on the sleeves. Keep us informed on how it works out in the final fabric.

(P.S. I’m jealous of your cutting tables)

• Thanks! The fabric the designer picked out is this GORGEOUS heavy crepe silk. It should drape beautifully.

I love, love, love my cutting tables. Although I’ve become spoiled – I hate cutting things out at home now. (Also not pictured: the wall of palladium windows. We have an amazing workspace!)

• Looks great! I love the details on the bodice, very cute!
    -Emily

• Great back on the dress, are you going to change the peek-a-boo part? Love the cape as well.

• Thank you!

We’re going to see how it looks on the actress before making a decision about the peek-a-boo. I think it would be easy enough to just put a CB zipper back there, and still have the cute button detail at the top. I made a toile of the cape, too – but the dress is so cute that I hate to cover it up! :)

• Fantastic! Fabric looks amazing!

• Thanks so much for ‘taking the plunge’ and posting such interesting & educational an entry! Your blog is also full of details that will be of great help – already downloaded a pdf of your grading recommendation from Threads. (I’ve known Threads for years – do I check them ? Duh! More fun to find out from others like yourself!)

• Wow, thanks! Glad that you found the post so interesting. I’m looking forward to writing more posts about the art and craft of sewing – I love being able to share what I know!

• Great dress, great execution! The pattern’s nod to the ascot, while being so much more practical, is really clever.

• Thanks so much! I love all the little details that these vintage patterns have. They really knew how to make fabric WORK, you know?

• I love this – I would happily wear that muslin!

• LOL! My students have been making eyes at it, too. ;)

• This is adorable! I love the button on the back neckline in the illustration on the envelope!

Garnet

• This is beautiful, I can’t wait to see the finished project. Please keep posting; I know we’d all love to see what you make next!

• Thank you! I’ll definitely post my further adventures in vintage sewing. I have some backlogged projects I’d like to post, too – but I don’t want to flood the blog. ;)

• Isn’t this the biggest problem though, using vintage patterns for our modern figures? Our bosoms seem to be HUGE in comparison to any from the 30’s up to the 60’s. I wish there was some simple way or book that would explain how to grade patterns up to fit E-cup boob’s into B-cup bodices :)