McCall’s 7345 – 1930′s adorableness!

by silverstah on April 26, 2012 · 18 comments

in 1930s,Dresses

Hi there – long time reader, first time poster. :)

I work in a university theatre department, and I’ll be putting together a number of 1930′s patterns for a play this summer.  I usually draft my own patterns – but time is of the essence, and all my student labor has gone home for the summer!

First up is a 1930′s McCall’s pattern:

Super cute, eh?  The challenge on this one was that my actress has a bust that’s about 8″ larger than the pattern bust – so it had to be severely graded up.   The toile looks very promising, though:

I can’t wait to try it on my actress and put it together in the fashion fabric!

More photos on my blog, here and here.

silverstah's posts / silverstah's website

Katherine April 26, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Welcome to our 177th contributor! Thrilled to have you onboard :D

Oh, this is looking awesome. Love the bows on the sleeves. Keep us informed on how it works out in the final fabric.

(P.S. I’m jealous of your cutting tables)

silverstah April 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Thanks! The fabric the designer picked out is this GORGEOUS heavy crepe silk. It should drape beautifully.

I love, love, love my cutting tables. Although I’ve become spoiled – I hate cutting things out at home now. (Also not pictured: the wall of palladium windows. We have an amazing workspace!)

Emily April 27, 2012 at 7:57 am

Looks great! I love the details on the bodice, very cute!
-Emily

silverstah April 27, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Thank you!

Laceflower April 27, 2012 at 10:37 am

Great back on the dress, are you going to change the peek-a-boo part? Love the cape as well.

silverstah April 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Thank you!

We’re going to see how it looks on the actress before making a decision about the peek-a-boo. I think it would be easy enough to just put a CB zipper back there, and still have the cute button detail at the top. I made a toile of the cape, too – but the dress is so cute that I hate to cover it up! :)

BanjerGal April 27, 2012 at 10:59 am

Fantastic! Fabric looks amazing!

silverstah April 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Thanks!

D'ellis April 27, 2012 at 11:51 am

Thanks so much for ‘taking the plunge’ and posting such interesting & educational an entry! Your blog is also full of details that will be of great help – already downloaded a pdf of your grading recommendation from Threads. (I’ve known Threads for years – do I check them ? Duh! More fun to find out from others like yourself!)

silverstah April 27, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Wow, thanks! Glad that you found the post so interesting. I’m looking forward to writing more posts about the art and craft of sewing – I love being able to share what I know!

Jessamyn April 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Great dress, great execution! The pattern’s nod to the ascot, while being so much more practical, is really clever.

silverstah April 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Thanks so much! I love all the little details that these vintage patterns have. They really knew how to make fabric WORK, you know?

Sarah Elizabeth April 27, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I love this – I would happily wear that muslin!

silverstah April 27, 2012 at 10:46 pm

LOL! My students have been making eyes at it, too. ;)

Garnet April 27, 2012 at 11:52 pm

This is adorable! I love the button on the back neckline in the illustration on the envelope!

Garnet

Anna Depew April 28, 2012 at 3:47 am

This is beautiful, I can’t wait to see the finished project. Please keep posting; I know we’d all love to see what you make next!

silverstah April 28, 2012 at 10:37 am

Thank you! I’ll definitely post my further adventures in vintage sewing. I have some backlogged projects I’d like to post, too – but I don’t want to flood the blog. ;)

Danielle July 17, 2012 at 2:06 am

Isn’t this the biggest problem though, using vintage patterns for our modern figures? Our bosoms seem to be HUGE in comparison to any from the 30′s up to the 60′s. I wish there was some simple way or book that would explain how to grade patterns up to fit E-cup boob’s into B-cup bodices :)