I was recently asked to participate in a Simplicity Blog Hop, and chose 1913 as my first dress to stitch up and blog about. After a few false starts, from being unable to find my desired fabric to receiving the list of other participants and trying to predict their tastes (nobody wants to show up to the prom with the same dress!), I finally settled on this chambray. I recently confiscated it from my mom’s stash, along with the red bias tape, the turquoise metal zip (hand-picked), and the Yale blue lace hem tape (also hand-stitched). The only non-vintage item in this dress is the thread and hook (I’m going to re-work the thread bar, as it’s too large). I like to call the Project Runway line “choose your own adventure” patterns, because they include lots of variations & details you can throw at ’em. In the end, I simply went with the collar and added piping.
You can read more about my adventures in fitting this dress over on my blog. Lampoon, it was. Let’s just say that I think I’ve finally learned how to properly fit my curvy back. And to get armholes up where I prefer them to be. The first version was almost rude.