Attention Sewing Men. Women, Stop Reading.

by Katherine on April 29, 2012 · 9 comments

in Mens

Whenever I’ve gotten hold of a men’s pattern, I’ve just put it in a pile and ignored it (much like I treat other people’s children).

Generally there is not much of a market for men’s vintage patterns and any plans of sewing for my husband have melted into the ether when he has failed to show the appropriate amount of enthusiasm for the idea. (By “appropriate amount of enthusiasm” I mean “an almost incontinent level of excitement accompanied by a parade of elephants”)

Today, during a fruitful bout of studying-avoidance, I glanced over at that pile and said “No more. Something must be done.”

We’re lucky to have some seamsters (like Kyle and Mainelydad) here at WeSewRetro but there’s always room for more, and in the spirit of encouraging more vintage sewing blokes, any manperson who wants these patterns can have one, some or all of them for zero dollars. Gratis. Free of charge.

Ladies, not you. Girl parts act as a disqualifier for this. But you can do your part to beef up vintage sewing’s collection of Y chromosomes by sharing this post with any male sewing types you know.

Click the thumbnail to zoom in for a better look.

The guy in the bottom left of Simplicity 6284 is just stone cold, isn’t he.

Note that there are two duplicates – Kwik Sew 1140 and the supremely Star Trek-y Simplicity 7889 – so if you want either of those you’ve got to tell me a size.

Let me know which ones you want by either emailing me or leaving a comment below. If the ones you want are still available, I’ll email you to get a mailing address and, bish bash bosh, they’ll be on their way.

Of course, nothing in life is truly free so while there are no strings attached, you can expect to feel an itchy, debilitating guilt*/lice infestation* (*delete as applicable depending on whether you have a conscience or not) if you don’t post one of the things you make from your pattern windfall.

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who participated in this. All the patterns disappeared quickly and there are now no more left. It was such a success that I’m sure I’ll be doing it again soon, so subscribe to the blog so you don’t miss out :)

I'm the editor at WeSewRetro so don't hesitate to get in touch with any problems or questions. In addition to keeping the good ship WeSewRetro afloat, I do an amateurish but enthusiastic job of raising a daughter, teach university professors how to dominate a computer by day and study for a masters in literature at night. My daily coffee consumption would kill a small horse. I'm having a clandestine relationship with bias binding and my idea of hell is turning a spaghetti strap right side out.

Katherine's posts / Katherine's website

paul rea April 29, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Interested in advanced 4439 and kwik sew 1660.

Ike April 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hi my names Ike, and I’m interested in a couple of patterns patterns, the simplicity robe pattern 2 12 and the simplicity 5689 shirt pattern. Thank You!
Ike

Franklin April 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hey there – how cool is this? Very interested in the Hollywood Patterns robes (489) and McCall’s 8962. Thanks!

Dante Crawford April 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Hiya,

Dante here, I sew, a lot, costuming and modern men’s clothing, particularly custom made shirts for those who need something with collar and cuffs for the workplace. That said, looking into the casual side of things, I’m interested in McCall’s 3559, and for sleepin’ time, Simplicity 1886.

Thanks in advance!

Corey May 1, 2012 at 12:54 am

Well this is awesome!! I’d love to have the Vogue 6112 and 9670! I’m enjoying playing with retro suit jacket patterns by making them out of interesting upholstery fabrics… These could be fun!

James Foord May 1, 2012 at 2:46 am

My wife (a sewing fanatic) pointed me in the direction of this blog and I was wondering if Advance pattern 6400 is still up for grabs? I would love some retro pajamas!

Molly May 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Haha, as soon as I saw Simplicity 7789 I thought of Star Trek. I think that actually is Bones in the centre of the pattern!

Mary Rosales January 14, 2013 at 10:02 pm

My brother likes 1660 Medium and , or 1140 in the medium as well, thanks in advance!

Matthew S. February 10, 2013 at 4:32 am

What a great bunch of fantastic patterns. I know it’s been a while since you posted this, but I’m new to sewing and to the online sewing community (I just bought my own sewing machine in late Dec!) and I would love any of the patterns that you have left, even if they’re boxers or pajamas. My current pattern pile is sitting at 1/2, as in I’m drafting a pattern from a suit coat that I own, but it’s not complete yet, so anything else would be a %100 improvement to my situation. I’m a bit late to the game so I understand if they’re all gone, but if not, send them my way!

Matthew