Another Retro Mission is Over!

by SewingYourStyle on April 11, 2012 · 9 comments

in 1960s,Dresses

I finally finished my retro dress from Butterick patterns B6582. I’ll be honest with you. Although the illustrations on the pattern envelope of elegant feminine look of 60s do get you excited about buying this pattern, you don’t get that retro look when your project is finished. Or maybe, it’s just me lacking the elegancy :)

Butterick 6582 retro dress

Still, my love for black and white dresses made me enjoy this dress a lot, with or without the retro vibe :)

The detail I liked most about this dress was the V-shaped back. It’s probably the only original detail that remained from the B6582 pattern :) Rest of the dress was full of alterations. Read more in sewingyourstyle.tumblr.com for the step-by-step information and for more photos on this project.

butterick 6582 sewing steps

happy sewing!

Have you ever wanted to wear the wonderfully crafted designer clothes that you’ve seen on TV or in a magazine and lamented for the fact that the possibility of buying that item with your current salary is as high as going on a moon in your lifetime? Have you ever heard the sales person saying “Unfortunately our cuts are much slimmer…” and just smiled back and left the store with full grace while recalling scenes from “Alien vs. Predator” movie within 3 seconds? Well, I have! :) So one day I woke up and said to my self “what will I lose” and decided to learn how to sew! I went to the market and bought a sewing magazine; ran to the fabric store and bought the cheapest fabric I liked and started sewing. I learnt new stuff each day from the internet and I keep learning. Since then, I keep sewing great clothes for my taste :)) If you have the same passion, follow my blog! http://sewingyourstyle.tumblr.com

SewingYourStyle's posts / SewingYourStyle's website

Godsgirlt April 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

I think this looks fantastic! Black and white are always so classy and the splash of red color is a nice touch!

LadyD April 11, 2012 at 10:13 am

Thanks for the tip that it doesn’t look ‘retro’. I’ve been looking at maybe buying it…but if it doesn’t look retro then I won’t.

Kelly April 11, 2012 at 11:34 am

I love your version of this dress, though I think if you’d gone with the all over black and white geometric instead of splitting the dress in half at the waist, you may have achieved that retro look you were going after.

paloverde April 11, 2012 at 11:39 am

I think the dress is beautiful (love the graphic print you used on the skirt), but you changed so much that I can see why you think it doesn’t look retro. Your hemline is much higher than the original, you don’t have a full skirt with a petticoat (if that’s the view you made), or you’ve eliminated the pegged nature of the sheath skirt (if that’s the view you made). See, I can’t quite tell.

Still, I covet the finished dress, just love it, and hope that you enjoy wearing it.

Jessamyn April 11, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I agree, it’s so changed it has very little of the original era left in it. So I wouldn’t judge the pattern by this dress! But it is a very cute modern dress, certainly.

BoPeep April 11, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I own this pattern and, of course, have pictured it in as a perfect pink wiggle dress. Thanks for sharing your version. I’ll do the same (if I EVER get to my summer sewing, that is).

learningnewtricks April 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

While the finished dress isn’t a 100% copy of the original, it is still quite lovely with all of your changes.

irem-SewingYourStyle April 12, 2012 at 3:35 am

Thanks for leaving comments. You are absolutely right in the effects of major alterations. I like modernizing retro patterns a bit. But it seems that I did not think it through when sewing this project :)

Molly May 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm

You’ve made a lovely dress that is wonderfully fresh and modern while being “retro inspired”. I think it can be very hard to look totally retro without the period underwear, slips, petticoats, hairstyles and accessories. And when you add all these in you run the risk of looking “costumey”. It not always easy to findthat happy medium :)