What do you think of this pattern?

First let me say hello to everyone since this is my very first post on this site, I’m not an experienced sewer and I thought you guys could help me out with my dilemma. I bought this pattern because it was cheap and it said it was easy, my sister says it looks like something our grandma would wear (which I informed her, that’s sort of the idea) I don’t know though, the only think I’ve made is pajama pants and those didn’t even come out perfect. Is this a good starter dress or should i go for something simpler? Any suggestions you have on the dress or pointers are much appreciated :)

null

• Meet the Author • Shanna

I'm a young retro mom from Texas, looking for friends in my sewing adventures

• I say, “Go for it!”

Be prepared to take some extra time, and do some preparation beforehand, but . . . what the heck–everyone has to start somewhere. My first dress involved both curved seams and piping, neither of which I’d ever attempted before.

• Do it! You’ll enjoy sewing much more if you make something that you really want. Who cares if you make mistakes? We all do. Good luck!

• That is a super cute dress! I agree with what LBC says above. . . If you’re willing to be patient and put in some extra time, I think it’s achievable for a beginner. I particularly like that the sleeves are in one piece with the bodice – not having to set in sleeves is great for a beginner, because even after many years of sewing, sleeves are where I still run in to problems. I highly recommend you make a mock-up in cheap fabric (like muslin). That way you can find out any quirks before you cut in to your nice fabric. :) Good luck!

• Go for it! Sewing is something you learn by doing, and I always tell people, it’s better to make something that you LOVE – that’s how people get hooked on the hobby, after all. Make a muslin for fit, but when you are making the real thing, use a GOOD fabric – don’t be tempted to buy something cheap for fear that you will ruin in. Jump in with both feet!

• Yes, go for it! Look at me, with a gazillion vintage patterns, a mile of fabric and two beautiful vintage Singer’s, and I’m to much of a stupid perfectionist to dare to attempt sewing anything. And if you end up with a right mess, you can have yourself a ritual burning!

• Muslin, muslin, muslin! A muslin is truly the best learning tool there is…. I should know, I’m a recent convert. It allows you to see what’s fitting and what’s not before you cut into precious fabric. I also suggest tracing your pattern vs. cutting into it. I have to make adjustments to the bust something fierce and I loathe to cut up the pattern and potentially screw up on the “for realz” pattern and be up the crick with out a paddle if you catch my drift. Lastly, if you don’t have a good sewing handbook just yet, get one! They’re invaluable.

• I would do it, if you feel like you can! The idea of “beginner” projects is a fuzzy one because there are all sorts of beginners! I came to garment sewing with very little knowledge about sewing machines, but with a whole lot of experience with hand sewing and just playing with fabric – altering, cutting things up and “frankensteining” them, and making cushions and other small items just for fun. I jumped straight in and made a 1960s blouse with a tie collar, buttons and set in sleeves. It took me many weeks of googling tutorials and trying to wrap my head around the pattern, but I got there! If I had spent the time recommended by many books on “beginner” projects – straight stitch totes and sack dresses and the like – I think I would have become so bored I would have dumped the sewing phase and never made vintage garments at all.

Also, I do agree with the above post that the kimono sleeves on your chosen pattern are ideal. My aforementioned blouse project sat dormant for some time until I got my MIL to set in the sleeves! They are quite tricky.

• Love the pattern! I say do it! BUT in a muslim first

• I tried this pattern and was underwhelmed, muslin first to see if it suits you.

• Hmm I’d like to see your progress thus far if you don’t mind. You can email it to me :)

• I like the sleeveless version. The figure on the model has quite the nipped waist but a big belt might add shaping. Styling wise I don’t think it’s too difficult for a beginner. Just get good measurements, go slowly, use your resources (reader’s digest complete guide to sewing, for instance), and have fun!

• Do it! Some people start with pot holders… some with cute vintage dresses. And I am totally in the muslin club. You can screw it up as many times as you need because it’s super cheap. I love the cut out on this pattern.

• Yeah I’ll definatly check out the muslin, I don’t want to look like I’m wearing a sack or anything so I need to make sure it fits well.
    Thanks everyone :)

• I say do it, when I was learning to sew I never thought about whether it would be a good learning project I just went for it and yes there were some steep learning curves but it was always fun an my red coat was definitely one of those projects a few years back!

PS
    I love this pattern!

• I would do it – it’s actually quite an easy pattern but with some things to learn. I’d do the cowl one – I think that looks great. When I first started sewing I bought a machine and a pattern that I liked – double faced yoke, frilled neckline, buttons all down the back and a rolled neck edge – who knew it was difficult. I went slow and made it. I remember loving it.

• it does look easy. no set-in sleeve, very few pieces. i think the only special sewing bit is the darts. i agree that the cowl would be easier. you could also skip the self belt and use one already made. i’ve never made a self belt, but i assume that’s more challenging.

• I think laura Mae over at http://lilacsandlace.blogspot.com/ (sorry, not an exact link to the dress) made this, or if not something similar. Or maybe it was just on her list of to do’s… Anywho, I say go for it. I would shorten the hem though. IMHO, calf length can look awkward. I’m 5’7 and that length makes me look dumpy and off somehow. I would set the hem at the thinnest part of the knee. I find that length to be almost magical.

• do it in a “muslin” or fabric you don’t care that much about first and see how it fits so you can make adjustments. I like the short sleeved one too – with the drapey neckline. It should be relatively easy to sew, and will give you practice with darts, facings and zipper.

• My 2 cents: go for it! And remember that pattern sizes are very different than RTW sizes, but patterns can have an awful lot of ease. If you have any difficulties, be sure to ask for help.

• This is on my list to buy but I say go for it! It is the trial and errors that make sewing so rewarding to me!

Did the pattern have finished garment measurements?

• Dawn the finished garment measurments are 33.5-47″
    Also if you still don’t have it when I’m finished we can always trade patterns.