Vintage Post: The Wing Collar Blouse

wing collared blouse at the postbox

This blouse was such an easy make. And it is such a comfortable and flattering style.
I’m not sure what era it is. Im thinking 1950s but I always struggle to find a date on vintage patterns. Does anyone know?

b556 Butterick blouse pattern
The pattern description reads: “Wing collared blouses for casual and dress-up occasions” and I think that just about sums it up. I do like all purpose clothing!

wing collar blouse profile

I was a bit hesitant about adding the shoulder pads but I’m jolly glad I did. They do indeed add proper structure to the shoulders and in any case it is more authentic.

wing collar blouse

The little heart buttons are care of Cath Kidston. and the hem is bound in red binding (of course!) I feel a few more of these coming on! More pictures and details over at ooobop!

• Meet the Author • ooobop

• Love it

• Simplicity and McCalls put the copy write year on their envelope but some companies don’t .

• Thanks Anne. I will have a look at some of the others I have.

• Absolute charm, with colors, buttons, hem tape (didn’t realize it was considered vintage), but have no idea of date.

Yep, many’s the time knitters have told me they keep 2 projects going, shuttling back & forth. Change of pace. Which reminds me – better get something else started myself!

• Thank you D’ellis. Glad I’m not alone! :-)

• Everything about that pattern screams mid-’50s, both the illustration style and the fashion features. I was just watching _To Catch a Thief_ last night (it’s from 1955) and the women in it have the same slightly pinched-looking waist and slightly bulbous high hipline, the rounded shoulder, the swept-back hair.

• Thanks Jessamyn. I thought as much. Although I’ve mistaken 40s for 50s before.

• The black with red dots fabric and pattern go well together. Love it! Gee I want one of those!

• Very pretty! A perfect fit.

• Thanks Lynn. The fit is helped considerably by 8 darts around the waist!

• So chic! I love the heart buttons.

• This blouse is lovely, I also really like the fabric you chose. I would say this pattern is 50′s because the look of the illustrations and style is very similar to some patterns I have.

• Thanks Bri. It had to be polka dot. A bit of a no-brainer for me!

• I love the look of the shoulder pads and the red really pops! Very flattering!

• Thank you. Yes I am coming round to the shoulder pad. Bit scared of them after they got soooo big in the 80s!

• Ooo! This is so cute! I looove your fabric choice, and matched with those buttons, it´s just perfection! :-)

• As well as the style of clothing, you can date a pattern by the hairstyles and the slope of the shoulders, hips, shoe styles etc. Short hair in looser waves always denotes 50′s, and your pattern is probably right in the mid-50s era. Forties patterns usually have longer hair in victory rolls, tighter curls and broader padded shoulders with slim hips. The dresses are straighter looking until they head towards Dior’s New Look with the nipped in waists, sloping shoulders and voluminous skirts, from 1947. Full gathered skirts ayed popular through to about 1963. In the early sixties you see cuter more casual hairstyles like the flip and bob cuts then when the dress shapes changed to the shift and the trapeze cuts got shorter and layered and bouffy.

• Thank you Sue. That’s really helpful. :-)

• oops typo above, that should read “full gathered skirts stayed popular”

• OMG! heart shaped buttons!! why didn’t i think of that for mine??

that is pure awesome!

• Thanks Puu. I really like your shirt too :-)

• This is so great! very flattering too

• The hair is late 50′s to early 60′s, so that is probably the era for this pattern. I recently saw an episode of Andy Griffith where one of the characters had on a similar blouse. I really love your version. I also an dying for that pattern!