No need to adjust your monitor

by Time and again on March 11, 2012 · 18 comments

in 1950s,Swimwear / Sunwear

I apologise in advance.

I bought this fabric last week from an Opportunity Shop and it has been positively screaming at me to make it into something. Visualising beach sunset colours I used it to make Vogue 9749 from 1959, however my family are likening it more to the colours of  fake tan and sunburn. Maybe it will fade, or I will only wear it on a cloudy day, or use a much more subdued colour for the coverup, or have another go at it (after all I cut out the drape on the wrong side anyway)

The lining of it was equally as alarming in style, if not in colour! The pattern was complex but not as difficult as I thought it might be.

I like to make things. It makes me happy.

Time and again's posts / Time and again's website

Tina Sutherland March 11, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I just LOVE these colors…I say phooie to your family. They are exactly right for the era too. I say wear it proudly, strut your stuff!

Melanie March 12, 2012 at 5:53 am

I agree. I love it as it is.

Evie March 13, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Agreed!

Julia Morley March 12, 2012 at 12:47 am

I agree with Tina, the colors are great! I see bold summer fun, not fake tan and sunburn :-)

Sofie March 12, 2012 at 1:01 am

Another vote for the colours – they are great – exactly what summer is all about!

Straight Talking Mama March 12, 2012 at 4:47 am

I love the colours, they are gorgeous!

Pippa March 12, 2012 at 5:15 am

Lol I see the inspiration for fake tan and sunburn comments but I do like the colours :D

Julie March 12, 2012 at 6:00 am

I love the colors too! Summer is the time to be bright and outgoing. Winter has the dark and stay at home out of the snow colors. I love summer best! Big floppy hat would look good with your suit.

PepperReed March 12, 2012 at 9:36 am

Fantastic! That’s a great color combo; looks really cute!

Cara March 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

Never mind your family! Big hat, big sunglasses and a lovely wedge on your feet. Beach anyone? Just lovely!

Angie March 12, 2012 at 10:14 am

I also love the colors and the style. I say wear it around the house until you’re comfortable with it, then get out to the beach!

I have found, however, that the bright florescent colors look really well on me only after i’ve tanned somewhat. I save the brightest gaudiest nail polishes for the end of summer.

I would recommend using a darker color, as opposed to a lighter color, for the coverup- i’d go with an almost-see-thru black, or a dark orange, instead of white/light.

My 2 cents!

Thank you for sharing tho! I’ve wanted to do a vintage swimsuit for a long time, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. thanks for the inspiration!
Angie

mideva March 12, 2012 at 10:51 am

love the suit,love the colors,looks like fun.plan on making my own suits soon (got lots of pattern that aren’t my size)this great inspiration.Love to see your second try and a cover-up.

Shanna March 12, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I think its insanely cute

Cat March 12, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I think that as long as your skin doesn’t end up matching the fabric you’ll be fine. It’s super cute and totally appropriate beachwear.

karen March 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I love it – i think the colors are modern and update the look to make it very wearable today in the summertime

Ange March 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I think it’s fabulous! I’ve worn black swimwear for years, and it gets dull after a while, wear it with pride.

learningnewtricks March 13, 2012 at 11:41 am

I also LOVE these colors (even though they would look awful on me — but great on my husband and daughter)!!! I say wear them loud, proud, and with joy. Disregard your family comments, they just aren’t as evolved as you in regard to color choices. Enjoy your gorgeous suit!

Emily March 20, 2012 at 7:56 am

Fabulous! Just don’t get a faux tan … that could be a little scary. However, DO get the big hat, sunglasses, and the cabana boy to deliver the daquiri!