≡ Menu

No need to adjust your monitor

I apologise in advance.

I bought this fabric last week from an Opportunity Shop and it has been positively screaming at me to make it into something. Visualising beach sunset colours I used it to make Vogue 9749 from 1959, however my family are likening it more to the colours of  fake tan and sunburn. Maybe it will fade, or I will only wear it on a cloudy day, or use a much more subdued colour for the coverup, or have another go at it (after all I cut out the drape on the wrong side anyway)

The lining of it was equally as alarming in style, if not in colour! The pattern was complex but not as difficult as I thought it might be.

About the author: I like to make things. It makes me happy.

{ 18 comments… add one }
  • Tina Sutherland March 11, 2012, 11:31 pm

I just LOVE these colors…I say phooie to your family. They are exactly right for the era too. I say wear it proudly, strut your stuff!

• Julia Morley March 12, 2012, 12:47 am

I agree with Tina, the colors are great! I see bold summer fun, not fake tan and sunburn 🙂

• Sofie March 12, 2012, 1:01 am

Another vote for the colours – they are great – exactly what summer is all about!

• Straight Talking Mama March 12, 2012, 4:47 am

I love the colours, they are gorgeous!

• Pippa March 12, 2012, 5:15 am

Lol I see the inspiration for fake tan and sunburn comments but I do like the colours 😀

• Julie March 12, 2012, 6:00 am

I love the colors too! Summer is the time to be bright and outgoing. Winter has the dark and stay at home out of the snow colors. I love summer best! Big floppy hat would look good with your suit.

• PepperReed March 12, 2012, 9:36 am

Fantastic! That’s a great color combo; looks really cute!

• Cara March 12, 2012, 9:47 am

Never mind your family! Big hat, big sunglasses and a lovely wedge on your feet. Beach anyone? Just lovely!

• Angie March 12, 2012, 10:14 am

I also love the colors and the style. I say wear it around the house until you’re comfortable with it, then get out to the beach!

I have found, however, that the bright florescent colors look really well on me only after i’ve tanned somewhat. I save the brightest gaudiest nail polishes for the end of summer.

I would recommend using a darker color, as opposed to a lighter color, for the coverup- i’d go with an almost-see-thru black, or a dark orange, instead of white/light.

My 2 cents!

Thank you for sharing tho! I’ve wanted to do a vintage swimsuit for a long time, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. thanks for the inspiration!
    Angie

• mideva March 12, 2012, 10:51 am

love the suit,love the colors,looks like fun.plan on making my own suits soon (got lots of pattern that aren’t my size)this great inspiration.Love to see your second try and a cover-up.

• Shanna March 12, 2012, 12:41 pm

I think its insanely cute

• Cat March 12, 2012, 2:35 pm

I think that as long as your skin doesn’t end up matching the fabric you’ll be fine. It’s super cute and totally appropriate beachwear.

• karen March 12, 2012, 5:54 pm

I love it – i think the colors are modern and update the look to make it very wearable today in the summertime

• Ange March 12, 2012, 7:48 pm

I think it’s fabulous! I’ve worn black swimwear for years, and it gets dull after a while, wear it with pride.

🙂

• learningnewtricks March 13, 2012, 11:41 am

I also LOVE these colors (even though they would look awful on me — but great on my husband and daughter)!!! I say wear them loud, proud, and with joy. Disregard your family comments, they just aren’t as evolved as you in regard to color choices. Enjoy your gorgeous suit!

• Emily March 20, 2012, 7:56 am

Fabulous! Just don’t get a faux tan … that could be a little scary. However, DO get the big hat, sunglasses, and the cabana boy to deliver the daquiri!