Fashion show

by Always Alice on March 25, 2012 · 8 comments

in Vintage Sewing

I have Been busy busy busy! Let’s get this thing rollin’.

This baby is a Ladies Home Journal mail order #2853 from the 50s. I used a thrifted and probably vintage sheer cotton with bright pink flowers. I finished the dress with French seams. The buttons are from my stash and the buckle is very vintage mother of pearl from my stash as well. The bust was for a 34 but I figured it would fit okay and Not be too baggy however the waist size wasn’t given. Well, it was a tad snug. I always seem to forget the expectation of women wearing girdles in this era. The dress had 16 waist darts. I was in sewing hell for a while. I do love it, especially the cuffs.

This is Simplicity 4640 from the fabulous 40s. I copied the pattern cover exactly. I used a bright blue broadcloth, vintage ric-rac (who doesn’t love tons of ric-rac) and vintage buttons both from my stash. This is the first princess seam dress I have done and I am in love with it. I think this dress is on my favorite top 5 dresses I have made. I didn’t follow the directions (or read them) so when I got to attaching the skirt to the bodice it was a hot mess. More of that is on my blog though.

The navy polka dot number is Advance 8574 from the 50s. It’s kimono sleeves and a big gathered skirt. I had to shorten it significantly to use my fabric but it’s still awesome. The fabric is thrifted micro polka dots arranged into tiny triangles. It gives me a bit of a seizure to look at sometimes. This dress started out as a muslin bodice but I liked it so much that I finished it off. I also used snaps (albeit crooked) to close the bodice. I have a vintage snap putter-on’er that I used for the first time too. I also used a side invisible zip which I try to avoid. I hate putting in buttons and zips, it’s like the buttons should let you into the dress. It it’s such a tease.

Next up is a Mail Order #9116 pattern from the Milwaukee Post (I think) and from the 50s. The bust ended up being too big. I tried fixing it with the button placement and it helped but didn’t fix it. The whole dress actually was a bit big but I think if I put it in the dryer a couple times it may shrink up just a squidge. I used new buttons and navy broadcloth. It was fairly easy to construct and I may make another in the sleeveless version.

As always there is more on my blog. I think I took up just about enough space today. Thanks!

This post was written by...

– who has written 30 posts on

I'm a self taught seamstress with only a couple of years under my belt. I love to sew from 1940s and 1950s patterns and try to work a little vintage into my modern life. Each garment helps me get closer to creating and designing well constructed and original garments.

Always Alice's posts / Always Alice's website

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

jax black March 25, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Oh my!! I love all of them ..i have so many plans to make my own
vintage wardrobe …not getting very far as making and teaching others how
get in the way a bit, but my vintage pattern collection is growing by the
Minute,another four early 60s today :) but i am inspired today by your post.
thanks for sharing.


Sue March 25, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Very nice! I especially like the last one with the little collar and the buttons going down the front side – cute!


Cara March 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I have some lovely fabric that needs to be made into dress number 1 ;)
Now I really want to look out for such a pattern.


A.J.A. March 25, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Great dresses!


Lizzy March 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Love all the dresses!


Katrina - Edelweiss Patterns March 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm

My goodness! You *have* been busy! Those are all outstanding dresses, and you’re going to have quite the summer wardrobe now.

Happy sewing!



Always Alice March 26, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I think the only people who get really how much work goes into each garment is another fellow stitcher. I look forward every day to checking the site to see what everyone has been up to.


Sarah March 27, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Eek my fav has to be the one with the red buttons, it is gorgeous!


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: