1970s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

70s Sweet Candy Dress

March 18, 2012

Muslin turned into finished dress

Today I finished the 70s dress. At first this was meant to be a muslin. I didn’t like the fabric that much, but when I was working with the fabric I started to like it a little better. Besides I didn’t need to change a lot on the pattern which made me decide to finish the dress. The dress is completely lined from the inside and has an invisible zipper at the back.

(I took the pics in my sewing room, please don’t mind the threads and other stuff on the floor ;))

The pattern

This dress pattern is from a sewing magazine called Marion from 1972. It was my first time working with these patterns, but there weren’t any difficulties. Actually it was really clear and easy. I really really like the sleeves of the dress. I like puffed sleeves in general but these are just lovely.
Not only the top of the sleeve has gathered fabric to creat a puffed sleeve. The sleeve has a yoke where also the fabric is gathered.

I altered the centre front pannel a little. At the original design the top of the this pannel should be higher then the side pannels. I thought it looked a bit strange so i decided to keep the neckline straight.It’s not clearly visible, but its the left dress from the picture in the right corner of the photo of the magazine.

The real thing

Now I finished this dress I will start with the real thing. I want to use this cotton fabric with a lovely print:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.