I’ve been working on this coat for what seems like FOREVER! I finished up the muslin in 2011, started sewing at the beginning of the year and had it ready in 3 weeks… then my self-covered buttons broke (dumb cheap kit!) so I had to get someone to make them for me which took another week. But it’s finally ready for it’s unveiling!
Here is the pattern I used – it’s a ~Couturier~ pattern, ooh la la. I made view B, just the coat. Actually, I made the pants too, but that’s another blog post.
I made a LOT of fitting changes – mostly because the pattern was a size too big. Want the list? Here you go:
- Remove 1/4″ from top & bottom sleeve side seams
- Reduce sleeve head ease (appx 7/8″ at peak)
- Taper lapel 1/2″
- Shift button position
- Shorten back belt 3/4″ on each end
- Remove 5/8″ from center back seam
- Remove 3/4″ from side back seam
- Raise underarm seam 1″
- Reduce shoulder width 5/8″
- Shorten sleeves 1/2″
As far as the pattern instructions – it actually includes instructions on hand-tailoring, so I didn’t have to deviate much! I did set the sleeves in using Gertie’s method – it’s much easier and cleaner! – and the lining is tacked down with feather stitches instead of the suggested cross stitches. All seams were pressed open and catch-stitched down as well.
I’m very happy with my new coat – now if only it would actually get cold enough here in Tennessee to wear it
As always, there are more pictures/info on my blog, LLADYBIRD. Thanks for looking!