The Next Dress ~ Plotting, planning and scheming!

by bonita on February 10, 2012 · 8 comments

in 1950s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

Start with one vintage pattern ~ Advance 9785.

Add a dash of floral fabric ~

And one excited me…

And you have my next dress project in the wings!

It wasn’t long after finishing my last dress{The On My Way Dress} that I began to wish I had another project to do.  Then I was digging through my stash trying to find fabric and a pattern that went together before I knew it.  The McCall’s I sewed up last time was obviously my first choice for a pattern, being the easiest and newest of all my patterns{most of which are vintage} but I simply could not find a fabric that worked for what I had in mind.  So I picked the biggest length of fabric that I cared the least about, a vintage pattern that seemed easy enough for me figure out using logic and decided to go to town!

This is my attempt at draping the fabric on Elizabeth, my dress form, to figure out whether this stripy flower pattern will work. I only found out while tracing the pattern that the bodice is cut on the bias whereas the skirt is cut on the straight grain…  I think it will look alright, but it’s going to take some really careful cutting to match this up nicely!   : S   Eeek! Scary stuff!  So tell me, am I being stupid tackling stripes and bias at the same time?  Keep in mind that I have never matched patterns before and I have only sewn one dress to date!

That’s another thing ~ is it easier to start pattern matching with small or large patterns? I sort of feel large might be easier, but I could be so wrong about that, it’s not even funny….   : \

….On the other hand ~ how cute is Veiw 2 with the chevron pattern on the bodice?  I am planning to do View 1 with the long sleeves as I felt this fabric has a more autumn/winterish feel to it, and Veiw 2 gives me a fairly good idea of how this might look in the end.

Oh, I am so excited to start sewing this up ~ I have to do the muslin next and after a tricky FBA that didn’t seem to work, I wonder how it will turn out…. Don’t worry, I’ll let you know if it’s a win or a fail!

xox,

bonita

P.S.  ~  For more photos, posts, outfits, and tutorials please come and say hi to me at my blog Depict This!   I hope to see you there soon.   ^ ω ^

I am an Artist, Photographer, Writer, Equestrian, Stay-at-Home-Housewife & Mother of One; so as you can see I have a lot of interests and happily describe myself as a multipassionate. I love the vintage style from the 1800s to the 1950s and aim to incorporate the beauty of simpler times into my life as much as possible ~ you can follow my foray into the past on my blog, or visit my website to see some of my work. ♥ xox, bonita

bonita's posts / bonita's website

Lizzy February 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

that’s a very pretty pattern, I would like to see it finished! the fabric you choose is very pretty too

bonita February 26, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thanks Lizzy – I just hope it all works out… :)

Katherine February 10, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I’m looking forward to seeing how this works out! Keep us posted :D

bonita February 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Will do :D

futuralon February 21, 2012 at 5:24 pm

As it happens, matching small patterns is much easier than matching big motifs. For instance, gingham is easy to match as you’d only need to shift a pattern piece a smidgen but a big print you might need tons of fabric to match pieces.
That said, if you really want the project to come together well, spend that tedious time matching up, pinning, and basting, and it will totally work. It’s not intellectually difficult to do, just keep all the tips in mind (like fold back seam allowances on the pattern pieces during layout) and work methodically. Good luck!

bonita February 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Oh dear – that sounds kind of scary – I don’t know any pattern matching tips! Right, off to do some Googling…. Thanks Futuralon!

Buy Diablo 3 Gold Eu June 20, 2013 at 8:56 pm

very true, I have had workshop sessions like that than in the past with some games. I played Everquest whether or not this was new back together with around 2001 for 30+ hours straight. I don’t know why this may kill someone though. You can survive possessing water for 3 days, no food for 7 if you have water. When I had my own , personal marathon though I happened to run as I played the idea so not to acquire stiff. It’s not healthy plus some do get addicted partially.

D3 Auction House June 20, 2013 at 8:57 pm

$200 a year is really a lot to much to gain full access to all the races. Not a lot of the people are gonna do that have been. That’s nearly twice the yearly valuation on most pay2play MMOs. And it’s not even exceptional of a thing they’re paying for. This game is rarely F2P, you get 4 backgrounds and 8 classes, I think other games that switched payment methods could be more successful.