Fabric help

by CuriousRaven on February 3, 2012 · 13 comments

in Vintage Sewing

Hello all! I’m writing with a request for some general advice. I couldn’t help myself and just purchased this beauty:

Now while I’m waiting for it to arrive I’m trying to decided what kind of fabric to use for my first run of it. I was thinking a stripe like its pictured with but then thought that maybe a plaid would really make it pop nicely? I’m sure that I’ll eventually make it out of both but was curious as to opinions on which I should try first. :)

CuriousRaven's posts / CuriousRaven's website

Doortje February 4, 2012 at 2:59 am

I would go with a striped or plain fabric. In my opinion, there are too many graphic lines in the design to make a plaid look good. It would look rather chaotic. (There is one stunning striped dress in the movie W.E., I would think of something similar)

Cara February 4, 2012 at 4:25 am

I would go for stripes too. I’m pretty sure you’re going to make this dress more than once ;) So if you really want to try it in plaid you can do that the second time. Very gorgeous!

motera February 4, 2012 at 5:07 am

The design is for stripes. It would still look good in plain, but the intent is to show off the seams by the intersection of horizontal /vertical /bias stripes. Plaid, essentially with stripes going both ways, would dilute this effect. In a plain fabric you could emphasize the seams with top stitching or piping. It is a beauty, pick a nice stripe and it will be stunning.

S February 4, 2012 at 5:35 am

You could try colour-blocking, or lace panels.

Marie February 4, 2012 at 6:45 am

Either, but I love the idea of plaid. If you need convincing, check out this very similar dress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Yie-hV_To

Always Alice February 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm

If it were me, I would do a solid for the shoulder and hip panels and do a matching stripe for the rest. I love the cuffs. Something about a wing collar and pointy cuffs always attracts my attention! They are just sooooo 50s. I love it.

ArtGranny February 4, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Depends upon your sewing skill.

If you have done stripes before, go for it (I agree with Dortje about plaid being too much). But if you don’t place the stripes well it could be a disaster. Better to start with plain or a pattern that doesn’t need matching.

Sandy February 4, 2012 at 5:18 pm

If you go for plaid, make sure it’s a fairly small-scale one, or you will not be able to match it. (Does the envelope say anything about “unsuitable for plaids?”) I think a narrow stripe would be much more satisfactory. If you find a plaid that you MUST use on this dress, how about plaid for the shoulders and the side-panels on the skirt (and maybe the collars and cuffs – adding white for them could be awfully distracting), and solid for everything else?

WendyBee February 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I would opt for stripes (and preferably subtle, low-contrast stripes, so as not to compete with the pattern geometry. Consider tiny piping in the seams to accent the shapes. Use the same color as the buttons. I don’t mean to sound bossy, I’m just typing out the ideas as they come to me. So, while I’m at it: make it as a spring/summer dress in blue/white seersucker, and use red piping and buttons. Wear it with red espadrilles, then add a broad-brimmed straw hat and market bag when going to the Farmer’s Market on Saturday mornings. K?

karen February 4, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I would do stripes or solid with another solid or print for collar and pockets. Plaid would be too busy even if you can match is perfectly.

CuriousRaven February 4, 2012 at 8:57 pm

lol!
thanks for all the advice you guys. Especially you WendyBee! That actually sounds like a really cute version of this pattern…
I think I’m leaning towards stripes right now as I think it’ll be a bit easier to find a striped fabric that I love that will work and I’ll just have to keep my eyes open for the ‘right’ plaid. :) I’m pretty sure a plaid would look nice with this pattern as it works on another pattern with a lot of the same details here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/92021419/vintage-1950s-dress-pattern-anne-adams. Course I want that pattern too… Anyways, I’ll be sure to post updates when this project hits my sewing table.

Andy February 5, 2012 at 10:15 am

I agree with WendyBee. The first thing that came to my mind was striped seersucker. Be sure to post a picture when you are done. I would love to see what you pick.

karen February 5, 2012 at 3:56 pm

CuriousRaven that Anne Adams pattern on Etsy looks like a window pain check, not a plaid. Checks are much simpler than plaids – I guess it depends on the plaid. I would not choose a Scottish plaid, for example.