I made this dress for Christmas and have only managed to photograph it today! The pattern is ‘Sense and Sensibility 40′s Swing Dress’ and I’ve made one before. The pattern instructions aren’t the clearest and I had problems with the bodice first time around, this time I remembered my previous mistakes.
I’m not sure it’s actually meant to be so ‘blouson’ but I like the way the bodice looks like it’s a separate, I think the bodice pattern pieces are too large for my frame, although the skirt is a great fit.
And boy I really matched up those checks didn’t I – I unpicked the skirt panels umpteen times to get the checks to line up nicely at the centre front and back.
But after all that angst guess what – I really wish I hadn’t bothered.
I wish I’d cut the skirt panels on the bias – I think the dress would look much nicer with the plaid on the diagonal! It might swing nicer too. Ce la vie.
There are more pics on my blog and you can find the first version of this dress I made for comparison.