Hello, everyone! Well, this is my first time posting on the new and improved site, and I am loving it!
I made this dress for the Burns Supper that I hosted a few weeks ago.
The plaid parts started out as a huge vest from Goodwill, and the equally large red sweater dress was an etsy find:
I started by removing the sleeves in order to move the shoulders up and take in the sides. The sleeves were originally gathered at the shoulder, but I wanted the shoulders to lie flat for a smoother line down to the bell, so I put in a series of radiating darts. The sleeves were three-quarter length, so I cut off about six inches so I could add the lower parts. I reattached the sleeve band to the bottom, which I had gathered. I was very proud of the way these turned out; I had to do a lot of measuring (which is not my forte) and drafting, and they ended up exactly as I had planned, which is rare for me!
Luckily, it came with a tie belt, so I just cut it down and put a vintage buckle on it. I used the extra red material from the sleeves to back the collar and the insert for my hat, which I sewed from an old navy sweater. The plaid collar comes from behind the shoulder and is stitched in place with a vintage button.