Simplicity 6651 – Wool cape

by Claire

in 1960s,Capes

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, but I’ve been admiring everyone’s makes for some time. I wanted to share my completed cape from this winter – Simplicity 6651.

Here’s the pattern envelope:

I made this out of a loose-weave wool with a faux fur collar and a poly satin lining. I even did bound buttonholes! I had to draft the lining and facings myself –  a feat I am quite proud of.

However, after all that effort I’m just not that fond of it. It might be that it is just too big for me (I made a medium and I am 36″ in the bust). Or it might just be the style. It was an excellent learning experience though! So now the question is, to keep or not keep? And what do people think about capes in general?

More details on my blog: Errant Pear

Claire's posts / Claire's website

learningnewtricks January 16, 2012 at 4:52 pm

You did an excellent job of matching up your plaids. The cape is very nice and looks good on you. I’d say, keep it for a bit to see if you change your opinion on how you feel about the cape. Otherwise, you might save it to gift it to a loved one or friend.

Elisalex January 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Definitely keep it! It looks wonderful on you and I’m sure a bit part of your indifference towards it is the fact that you made it and put a lot of effort into it… I know that sounds like a contradiction but hear me out! I often find with clothes I make that they just don’t quite live up to my expectations. I become hyper aware of tiny flaws and do my head in that it didn’t turn out exactly how I’d imagined.

It is a beautiful cape (I love capes, so elegant and easy to wear) and it really suits you – especially the fabric choices and the flattering length. Have you tried wearing it with slim jeans and pretty flats for a sweet casual 60s look?

Jusi January 16, 2012 at 5:28 pm

it is so beautiful and elegant, try to wear it for a while and then decide if ou like it, it is worth to give it a try!

Miss Crayola Creepy January 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Keep!!!

Katherine January 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Keep it! I’m going to second Elisalex’s suggestion of jeans and flats. Get the right pair of slim legged jeans and I bet you’ll start loving it.

Foster January 16, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Darling! Keep it!

VeraVenus January 16, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Looks great, keep!

Claire January 16, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Thanks everyone! Maybe it deserves a shot after all.

Dee January 16, 2012 at 7:39 pm

It’s lovely. I love capes and cloaks. They can be made to fit with modern stuff or vintage. You did fabulous job with it and you should be proud.

Pixie January 16, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Love! Love love love! I am going to keep a eye out for that pattern – it is the perfect cape. I love the way it’s folded to create the armholes – I find full circle ones just a little too dramatic. I think this style is very wearable, and I’m going to join the chorus of voices telling to you “KEEP”!!

jill January 16, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Definitely a keeper! I have this very pattern and bought it after I saw the same style cape at an expensive boutique for some serious bucks. I also saw the same style in one of the catalogs I get either Brooks Bros. or Nordstrom. Either way it’s stylish and look great on you. I’ll go along with the 60s accesories ideas that other poster suggested. Turtleneck, slim jeans and flats!

Netty January 17, 2012 at 1:50 am

I adore your cape, Yes KEEP it!!!
It looks so cute on you , I would love to wear something like this, if only we had cold weather here. How fun to wear a cape and snuggle up, even go for walks in the snow!!
Sometimes when you spend time making something , it becomes boring, then after you are over it all, lol you love it again….

Sandra January 17, 2012 at 10:37 am

It’s lovely! If you don’t keep it, give it to me!