Simplicity 4930

by Through the Alley on January 28, 2012 · 6 comments

in 1960s,Vintage Sewing

Hello! I just wanted to share one of my most recent projects, Simplicity 4930 from the early 60′s. I purchased this pattern at an estate sale quite some time ago and just fell in love with the open back scoop.

Source

I ended up using this fabric that I came across at a thrift store about 6 months ago. Does anyone know if this print/motif has a name?

This was a fairly easy dress to make. I did end up shortening the bodice and taking it in a bit through the darts. I’m going to be using this pattern a lot for my summer wardrobe!

I love the versatility of this dress! I styled it the other night with a green cardigan, brown waist belt, brown wool tights, and brown oxfords.

-Allie
throughthealleyy.blogspot.com

Hi! I'm Allie, a vintage stylist and fashion design student based in Dallas. Be sure to check out my blog Through the Alley.

Through the Alley's posts / Through the Alley's website

Cation Designs January 28, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I do believe that type of fabric featuring peasant scenes is called a toile.

I’ve always loved the look of that kind of pattern, but I never knew what I could make it into. You’ve convinced me that a dress made of toile is definitely okay!

Katherine January 28, 2012 at 2:36 pm

There’s an artist called Richard Saja you might enjoy checking out. He embroiders toile to hilarious and awesome effect. Check it out the blog ‘Historically Inaccurate’ here: http://historically-inaccurate.blogspot.com/2009/02/love-series.html

Lizzy January 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm

ohh! So lovely dress! I like te pattern a lot and I think you used a very original fabric

ooobop! January 29, 2012 at 4:48 am

This is gorgeous and what an amazing score with the fabric! I would be wearing this at every available opportunity!

Handmade Jane January 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm

This is lovely – the fabric is just stunning, what a find! And as you say, now that you’ve got the bodice fit right, you can make it again and again. I really like it. x

Through the Alley January 30, 2012 at 7:48 pm