mccall 6336: a bound buttonhole saga

by puu

in 1940s,Blouses

check the box:  i can do bound buttonholes.
i’m never doing them again, though. four hours into a basic 40s blouse, i was supine, on the couch, aching in back, head and eyes, but the owner of a bodice back with bound buttonholes.

Pattern Description:
basic blouse has button back with neckline and sleeve variations.

Pattern Sizing:
sz 12/30b.  i re-sized it using my moulage and it ended up nearly identical, which was cool.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
close enough for government work.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
i did not use the instructions.  the basic blouse itself was easy to assemble, and i used summerset’s bound buttonhole method to get the buttonholes in.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
i loved the cutout neckline and the button back.  i’m starting to have a real issue, however, with the cap sleeve styles of this type of bodice.  it’s always too big and floppy to be flattering and i  haven’t yet decided how i want to fix that.

Fabric Used:
liberty of london tana lawn “gold delfi” from purl soho

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
nothing major.  as i said, i did adjust the sizing based on my moulage to get a cleaner fit in the back and at the bustline.

Conclusion:
this is such a 40s wardrobe staple that it will definitely stay in rotation, but it will never be a favorite.

full post at puu’s door of time.

also, do you like that red-eye?  brand new!  a score this past weekend at the habitat for humanity re-store, already retro-fitted to a motor instead of a treadle.

puu's posts / puu's website

LBC January 20, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I had a booger of a time learning to do bound buttonholes, and I still wouldn’t call myself good at them, but, wow, are they satisfying once you’ve learned them. What an adorable blouse!

karen January 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I really like it. I wonder if you made it out of something with more drape if the “sleeves” will fall over the shoulder and arm more and not stick out as you mentioned. Or, I wonder if a top tuck in the sleeve, like a dart, could round the cotton over the shoulder? It looks snazzy though and I love the cut out.

puu January 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm

@karen, someone else suggested exactly the same thing to me, pointing out that in a more 40s-style rayon crepe or challis, for example, there would be more weight and therefore more drape and the sleeves wouldn’t feel as “standing on end” as they seem to. so, yeah, excellent point! under a jacket, it’s quite comfy, but when the weather gets warmer i’ll have to revisit the sleeve issue for something more all-the-time flattering…

karen January 21, 2012 at 9:33 am

Puu I would love to see you make it again in a crepe however in the picture version of the pattern I do notice that “Miss Red’s” sleeves are sticking up somewhat too so it could be a function of the cut. It’s lovely however, and you did the cut outs perfectly from what I can see.

Lizzy January 21, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Very ncie blouse, I have never done those kind of buttonholes but I wanna try

Jade January 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I am in love with this blouse. I would love to make it in silk. I am going to start stalking the internet for this pattern!